Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Get shared shapes

Get shared shapes

Up to Use

Get shared shapes

Posted by Romain H at January 16. 2013

Hello,

I have some difficulty with this operation.

I have two solid, one is the resulting of a boolean 'Cut' operation and the other one is the 'tool solid' used in the 'cut operation'.

Thus, they should share one common face.

But when I try 'Get shared shape', sub shapes type : face, I have an error : 'the given shapes have not shared sub-shapes of the requested type'.

Any idea of what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Romain

Re: Get shared shapes

Posted by Saint Michael at January 16. 2013

Hello Roman

A mistake is here:

Thus, they should share one common face.

Yes, a surface (geometrical entity) is same, but faces (topological entities) are different: faces of the tool and the result are bound by different edges.

Try to use GetInPlace() function.

St.Michael

def GetInPlace(self, theShapeWhere, theShapeWhat, ...)

put the result solid in place of theShapeWhere,
put the face of the tool a trace of which you want to find in the result solid in place of theShapeWhat 

St.Michael

Hello,

thank for the quick reply, I am not sure what you mean by GetInPlace() function. 

I am currently using the GUI, is the function available there (I did not find it) ? 

Or should I use a script ?

Romain

In GUI, "Get Shapes On Shape" operation seems suitable.

St.Michael

Ok. It did work for a simple test case (three cubes: one initial cube, one tool, one cut result), the resulting of the shape on shape operation was the simple face.

But when I tried with a more complex problem (one cube, one cylinder, one pierced cube (cut result) ), the shape on shape operation gives the result 'not a single entity have been found'. It seems to me that the result of this operation should be a face (an extruded circle)

With a box and a cylinder cut from it, I got a cylindrical face. Parameters were:

Shape for exploding: Cut_1

Solid for checking: Cylinder_1
Result type: Face
State: ON

St.Michael

Ok, I found a solution, I just had to put the option 'state' to ON, and not IN. Not sure what that mean though.