Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Modifying existing elements and updating dependencies

Modifying existing elements and updating dependencies

Up to Use

Modifying existing elements and updating dependencies

Posted by Johannes Tophøj Rasmussen at November 22. 2012

Hi,

I have a very basic question. I have constructed a geometry consisting of several elements. Some of the elements depend on other elements, e.g. translations of object1 into object2. My question is: Is it possible to modify object1, say scale it, and have object2 update similarly?

I seem unable to do anything but create a new copy of object1...

Thanks for your help

Johannes

Re: Modifying existing elements and updating dependencies

Posted by Cacciatorino at November 23. 2012

The only way is to use the parametric functionalty (notebook) and re-calculate the whole study. This requires an heavy use of variables during modelization.

Posted by William Tougeron at November 23. 2012

Hello Johannes,

This is not possible in the GUI excepted by using the notebook, (File, Notebook... or [Ctrl]+[K]). But I think the best is to use Python scripts because the notebook is a bit heavy... And scripts are more flexible... At least according to me.

Scripting is rater easy with Salome. The Help is very well made.

Else, you can dump your study (File, Dump Study... or [Ctrl]+[D]), which will create a Python script of your study, and then modify it manually and importing this script in a new study (File, Load Script... or [Ctrl]+[T]). If you modify an object in your script, all child objects will be of course "updated".

Best regards,

William

Posted by Johannes Tophøj Rasmussen at November 23. 2012

Hi Cacciatorino, William

Thank you for your quick replies. I tried the notebook and it is perfect for my needs. As you mention it seems a bit heavy even for my simple geometry but thats fine for now. The python scripting (and the study dump starting point) sounds very promising. I will give that a try as well for larger studies. 

Again, thanks for the pointers

Johannes