Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Hexahedralization: vary number of elements in the three directions

Hexahedralization: vary number of elements in the three directions

Up to Use

Hexahedralization: vary number of elements in the three directions

Posted by Carlos Melendez at November 14. 2012

Hello everybody,

I want to mesh a beam with hexahedrons. After defining its geometry as a box (Dx=1, Dy=0.2, Dz=0.4), I assign the 3D Automatic Hexahedralization.

Choosing any of the options of type distribution, the number of divisions of the mesh is the same in the three directions. I would like to know if it is possible to define the number of elements that the user wants in each direction. I would like to have a larger number of elements in the direction of the beam than in the other two directions.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

Re: Hexahedralization: vary number of elements in the three directions

Posted by Saint Michael at November 14. 2012

Hello Carlos

You need to define a sub-mesh on an edge going along your beam, this allows you assigning different algorithm and/or hypothesis than those used for the whole beam.
Assign to the new sub-mesh:
1) Wire discretization algo
2) "Nb Segments" hypothesis = the number of divisions you want along your beam
3) "Propagation of 1D Hyp. on Opposite Edges" hypothesis.

St.Michael

Posted by Carlos Melendez at November 14. 2012

Thank you St. Michael for your quick answer. I get this message when trying to define the sub-mesh. "Geometry objetct is not a sub-shape of the shape to mesh".

I have tried to define a compound of the box and the edge define along the beam and then mesh this compound. I thought that would make the edge be a sub-shape of the compound. But I was wrong. Any advice?

Thanks again!!

Posted by Saint Michael at November 14. 2012

Yes, to define the sub-mesh, the geom object must be a sub-shape of the shape the mesh is defined on. To make a sub-mesh on an edge, you need to explode ( Geom menu New Entity / Explode ) the shape being meshed into edges and to define your sub-mesh on a proper one of those edges.

St.Michael

Posted by Carlos Melendez at November 26. 2012

Thanks! Now it works.