Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Parallel meshing

Parallel meshing

Up to Use

Parallel meshing

Posted by Kon G at October 15. 2018

Hello to everyone,

Does anyone know how to meshing a 3d geometry in parallel or how to significantly reducing the computational time?

Thank you

GK

Re: Parallel meshing

Posted by Saint Michael at October 15. 2018

Hi

AFAIK In SALOME there is no way to speed the meshing up.

St.Michael

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at October 15. 2018

Hi,

MeshGems CADSurf  is multithreaded. 4 threads are used by default. A licence from DISTENE is needed.

Christophe

Posted by Kon G at October 16. 2018

Hi,

Thank you both for your reply. Christophe, thank you for your suggestion but  I would prefer to use Salome as it is an open-source program. If you know a better licence-free program for CAD or Meshing which has the ability of scripting additionally, I would be grateful to know it. 

Thank you

GK 

Posted by Sergio Pluchinsky at October 17. 2018
Have you tried Netgen? As far as I know it has scripting possibilities

Posted by Adam Brown at November 10. 2018

Hi GK,

I have also looked into improving meshing performance in Salome, and the only parallel meshers that I can find for Salome are commercial such as those from DISTENE.

I recently created a mesh of 145M cells using the NETGEN mesher in Salome. This took around 4 days to complete on my workstation.

It also required a RAM upgrade beyond the 32GB I had to avoid disk swapping . I can't remember peak memory usage but the current 128GB of RAM was sufficient to complete the meshing. At a guess, the meshing operation may have used around 50-60GB of memory at peak.

You have a couple of options as i see it:

1. Contact DISTENE for a commercial licence, they offer a trial - perhaps they might offer a low-cost licence to Salome users for personal/academic use - (how about it Distene?)

2. Faster CPU and RAM ! - Try to get more out of that single thread!

Bon chance!