Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Using Salome Platform as the only 3D construction tool

Using Salome Platform as the only 3D construction tool

Up to Use

Using Salome Platform as the only 3D construction tool

Posted by Guido Tobler at January 17. 2012

Hi all, just a short question to users with longer Salome experience. I would like to make complete 3D constructions of light-weight parts completely in Salome. After some first trials I would say that this is possible in principle. Can you recommend to use Salome as the only 3D CAD/CAE tool, or do you use 3rd party 3D tools from which you import the STEP files into Salome.

Sorry if the question might sound stupid, but I'm coming from the Solidworks world, where everything is integrated in one tool. However, my new company does not have the resources to purchase Solidworks, and Salome seems to be a great tool, so basically I would just like to reinsure myself.

Thanks for some short feedback.

Guido

Re: Using Salome Platform as the only 3D construction tool

Posted by Peter Dolbey at January 18. 2012

Why not try using FreeCad for generating your geometry which is an OpenCascade based open source CAD application so creates brep files compatible with Salome. Its a similarly attractive price i.e. Its free.

Pete

Posted by Cacciatorino at January 18. 2012

In my opinion, Salome is not yet ready to be used as solid modeller, the money saving is not effectvie when you go to see the hours needed to create a model.

Have a look at Alibre or Spaceclaim or Varicad (this last one has the advantage to work on linux too): they stay between 500 and 2000 Euros, or the stripped down version of Solid Edge (named "Design and Drafting", it cost 2700 Euros, more or less).

Previously Guido Tobler wrote:

Hi all, just a short question to users with longer Salome experience. I would like to make complete 3D constructions of light-weight parts completely in Salome. After some first trials I would say that this is possible in principle. Can you recommend to use Salome as the only 3D CAD/CAE tool, or do you use 3rd party 3D tools from which you import the STEP files into Salome.

Posted by pierre_j at January 19. 2012

Hi,

What do you call a lightweight part?

Salome is good to draw basic shapes, but hardly for more complex things: it lacks from constraints management.

Bests,

Pierre

Posted by Andrea Palazzi at January 20. 2012

Previously Guido Tobler wrote:

Sorry if the question might sound stupid, but I'm coming from the Solidworks world, where everything is integrated in one tool. However, my new company does not have the resources to purchase Solidworks, and Salome seems to be a great tool, so basically I would just like to reinsure myself.

Thanks for some short feedback.

Guido

Hi,

I completely agree with the others: Salome is not suitable for some complex modeling, unless you use the TUI instead of the GUI.

FreeCAD on the other hand is becoming a good tools for part modeling, it has an automatic constraint solver and can also be extended/controlled with python.

Bye

Andrea

Posted by ppeetteerr at January 23. 2012

Can you elaborate on what your requirements are? 

If you wish to create the parts for analysis:

I have two separate workflows. For parts /products whose design I am responsible for I usually will create the geometry in Salome, using the Text User Interface (TUI), for use in Code-Aster. This allows me to create fully parametric models that do not require remeshing, scaling, selecting new boundary conditions, etc... It also allows me to run monte-carlo simulations and optimization routines on the parts (some of which are quite complex).

For parts/products I receive that I am asked to analyze once or twice I usually import the geometry from step files. Creating the parts in Salome simply takes too long.

If you wish to build the parts:

You really need to use another program. Salome does not have the ability to create drawings and dimension and tolerance those drawings. Even in the first case where I create the solid files in Salome I always create an identical file in SolidWorks. I will usually link this file to my Salome input file using a excel based "Design Table" and xlrd.

Posted by fred renou at January 25. 2012

From the beam grid point of view, Salome is yet to be ready to be used as a design tool.

I theory most of the geometric function are aviable but they does not fit togethere properly in the graphical interface (GUI). The script interface (TUI) could be of some help if you take the time to learn it.

I do think that salome's developer will be happy to know how to improve the software.

I put some suggestion here (in french thought) http://formecomplexe.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/proposition-damelioration-de-salome-gestion-de-la-vue/

it could help you to understand what is missing

fred