Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Hex mesh for a T-pipe

Hex mesh for a T-pipe

Up to Use

Hex mesh for a T-pipe

Posted by EduardP at September 10. 2012

Hi to you all,

For some time I struggle to generate a hex mesh for a T-pipe ( pipes with different diameters). For pipes with the same diameter I managed to partition and to obtain a nice hex mesh, but for different ones nothing works.

Can you please help me!

Re: Hex mesh for a T-pipe

Posted by Saint Michael at September 11. 2012

Hi Eduard

Could you provide a script or a study with the failing case?

St.Michael

Posted by EduardP at September 11. 2012

I attach a picture of the way I did the partitioning for the T-pipe when I have the same diameters and it works perfectly. But when one is bigger than the other the partitioning does not work. I really need to know how to do this, to understand the logic behind.

Thank you in advance!

Eduard

Attachments

The picture is of low help. I'd prefer a script where I could add some command or change some parameters to make it work.

Meanwhile you can try to use a specific operation creating a T-pipe shape: New Entity / Primitives / Pipe TShape.

St.Michael

So here is the script I'm using. Sorry if it is not so "clean". The Pipe TShape does not help me in this case.

Attachments

I observe no problem with your script. The mesh is fine.

St.Michael

Yes. The example I give is perfect and the mesh is fine. But the problem is when the diameters differ. Change in the script that raza_cil_mare differ of raza_cil_mic. I attached the modified script. Here the problem appears in my approach.

Attachments

Apparently there are some errors in in your script leading to an appropriate geometry.

Measure / Check Compound of Blocks operation detects bad sub-shapes preventing hexahedral meshing. This operation reports "Extra Edge" error. When this error is clicked, "Incriminated Sub-shapes" field enumerates wrong sub-shapes that allow you to see them in the viewer (hide the main shape if a shown bad sub-shape is not visible). This way you can understand where your error is.

St.Michael

This I know, but I wanted a hint about the right way to partition. 

Posted by Saint Michael at September 12. 2012

Now I see the difficulty. It's a funny task, let's meditate on it together!

St.Michael

Posted by EduardP at September 12. 2012

I'm struggling with this for a long time now. It is an example in salome but it is working only if the upper pipe is in the middle of the other. I have no more ideas although I really need to get it work.

Posted by Saint Michael at September 13. 2012

Dear Eduard

Do I understand right that usage of a hexagonal tool for Partition is not obligatory?

St.Michael

Posted by EduardP at September 14. 2012

I don't know if it is obligatory, but for the moment is the only way I managed to get some hexa meshes. It will be perfect to be another way. 

Eduard

Posted by Saint Michael at September 14. 2012

Hi Eduard

I solved this task. I'll post the script on Monday, after some decorations.

St.Michael

Posted by EduardP at September 15. 2012

Thank you so much. I can not wait to see it. You really made my day and my weekend.  Wish you a great one also. 

Eduard.

Posted by Saint Michael at September 17. 2012

Here is the promised script. Hope it will pass OK on your version.

St.Michael

Attachments

Posted by EduardP at September 18. 2012

Sorry for the delayed answer, but I could only try it this morning. It is perfect. I did some tweaking and it behaves perfectly. I still have to manage the mesh part from your script, but with a simple automatic hexa it's working like a charm.
Thank you again and if we ever meet the wine is on me.

Posted by Saint Michael at September 18. 2012

Nice to hear you like it! :)

St.Michael