Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use How to group nodes around a hole in a 3D Tet mesh?

How to group nodes around a hole in a 3D Tet mesh?

Up to Use

How to group nodes around a hole in a 3D Tet mesh?

Posted by tym busku at June 29. 2018

Hello All,

I have a very simple question about trying to define a group of nodes around a hole of a 3D tetrahedral mesh.  I created a block 200x200x200 and made a 30 dia hole in it by boolean subtraction of a cylinder (dimension 60dia x 220 high).  I meshed it using automatic tetrahedral meshing with a fineness setting of approx 0.3.

Next I want to select all the nodes which lie within a radius of 25 around one end of this hole and group them.  My intent is to simulate the scenario of this block being bolted down, where all the nodes (within 50 dia) are constrained.  In other words the head of the bolt which would be holding this block down is assumed to be 50 dia.  I seem to be stuck at this stage.

I have created circular Face_1 of 50 dia.  Then I tried creating groups using filters and specified
1. "Belong to Geometry" = Face_1
2. "Lying on Geometry" = Face_1

But neither method gathers any nodes when I click on the "Add" button.  What am I doing fundamentally wrong?  I wish I could attach the files (including an image file) but this website does not seem to have the feature to do so like the Code-Aster forum.  So I am pasting the relevant portion of Python scripts here.  Could somebody please help?

With many thanks

Re: How to group nodes around a hole in a 3D Tet mesh?

Posted by Sergio Pluchinsky at Wednesday 14:53

You must create groups from geometries, then select the face of the washer.