Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Creating a Module under Windows

Creating a Module under Windows

Up to Use

Creating a Module under Windows

Posted by Martin Hennig at November 20. 2012

Hello,

Is it even possible to build a module and include it in Salome under Windows? I just found tutorials for Linux in the documentation (like the HELLO module).

Would be great if someone could point me to a tutorial or explain shortly what you need to do differently to that tutorial in the documentation!

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Re: Creating a Module under Windows

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at November 21. 2012

Hello Martin,

Unfortunately, there is no any "how-to" document that would provide a description of the module implementation specifically for Windows platform. Existing tutorials relate to the Linux platform only.

The main problem is that from its origin SALOME was mainly aimed to the Linux platform and, thus, used build system based on GNU auto-tools (autoconf / automake / libtool / GNUmake). For building SALOME on Windows, CMake was later used that allowed generation of MS Visual Studio solutions. CMake input files are generated from the Makefiles by hand-made Python script. Unfortunately, this script contains some hardcoded staff and, thus, cannot be considered as universal solution that would be appropriate for any custom 3rd-party module. However, it might work in simple cases.

On the other hand, you can refer to PARAVIS as an example of the module, completely based on CMake, that makes cross-platform solution for both Linux and Windows.

So, you have two choices:

1) Take PARAVIS as example of the module based on CMake. Note that PARAVIS is very specific case of SALOME module, so you only need to refer to it for the build procedure.

2) Create GNU auto-tools -based module following the description provided in SALOME Tutorial and try am2cmake procedure for converting Makefiles to CMake. If needed, you can also attune am2cmake script for your own purposes, though this might be not an easy task.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by William Tougeron at November 21. 2012

Hi,

May I ask where are these tutorials to create a Salome modules on Linux?

I have not been able to find them.

Is it in the Kernel User's Guide?

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

William

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at November 21. 2012

Hello William,

SALOME Tutorial is provided within TUTORIAL package which is a part of SALOME distribution. However, it is distributed only with SALOME Install Wizard archives for Linux. Neither universal Linux binaries nor Windows binaries packages contain SALOME Tutorial. In such a case you can download archive with SALOME Tutorial from download page (see Sources and Documentation section).

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by William Tougeron at November 21. 2012

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

William

Posted by Martin Hennig at November 21. 2012

Thank you very much, Adam! If I should choose to give this way a try, I'll report back with my results and maybe a small how-to.

Posted by Thomas PEDOT at November 21. 2012

Hi Martin,

I will be interested by this subject.

Do you plan to developpe a module in c++ or in python ?

Posted by Martin Hennig at November 23. 2012

It would be definitely in c++.