Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use import a .step file and mesh it

import a .step file and mesh it

Up to Use

import a .step file and mesh it

Posted by Romain H at June 18. 2012

Hello,

I have some difficulty to import my step file. It is a complex geometry, but let's say that it is a big box with some objects inside and I want to have an inlet and an outlet for an air flow.

When I import my geometry (wich was made using Catia) I only have one compound in my geometry.

So I try to explode it. I try to explode it in compound/solid/face... The best one was by compound even if it was not perfect I had  4 sub-shapes. Then I have to explode those sub-shapes in face in order to find my inlet-outlet and wall.

My main difficulty is that I will have a lot of difficulty to find the correct face for my inlet/outlet since I have something like 200 items.

The other problem is that I do not seem to have a volume, but an empty shell. It's like I don't have the air in my 'box'.

I hope that you will understand my problem and hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Re: import a .step file and mesh it

Posted by Saint Michael at June 18. 2012

Hello Romain

As about selecting inlet and outlet face, you can use the attached script to publish in the study only needed faces, which can be found by their names.

As about the second problem, I believe everything is OK with your box. Just to do what you need.

St.Michael

Attachments

Posted by Romain H at June 18. 2012

Hello,

thank you for your quick reply, but I am not sure that this will work.

I don't have a specific name for my inlet as I only have something like Face 1/Face 2/... Face 200 when I explode my compound, so I am not sure that the script will be able to help me. And I am  not sure that I really have this face since it seems to me that I only have the external wall of my box  but not the internal volume nor the inlet or outlet.

Thanks again,

Romain

Posted by Saint Michael at June 18. 2012

Ok, I seem to see what is your problem. I would advise you to change your model in CATIA by removing the box from it. Then import internal staff of your model in Salome, create a new box in Salome, perform Partition of the box and the internal staff (select everything as "Object"). As a result you get a compound of solids.
Then you create a group of faces for wall, inlet and outlet. "Create group" dialog lets you limit selection to shapes geometrically coincident with other shapes (by activating option "Geometrical parts of the Second Shape" in "Main Shape Selection restriction" group), using which you can find faces of the box within the compound of solids made by Partition. For this, first you create a group of all faces of the box (let's call it 'box faces'), then, when you create a wall group, you select the 'box faces' group as "Second Shape" (-> only 6 faces will be shown) and thus you can select wall faces (or inlet/outlet) easy.

St.Michael

Posted by Gilles Vogt at June 20. 2012

You shouldn't export the air with Catia. Just export the other volumes and make a partition to generate the air in Salome. Anyway you'll have to partition your geometry.

Another problem using Catia is the construction lines, eg. for cylindrical shapes. In some cases, it can be very close to the true edges, but not merged and generate errors (but more likely at the meshing step).

Posted by kai schueller at October 19. 2012

I have a question to the solution of St.Michael.  

I think my problem is similar to Romain H's problem. But i'm dealing with a .step file inside a block of ice. I would like to import a .step file (assembly) and then create the block of ice in salome. Could you please explain in more detail, what i have to do after creating the partition of the block of ice and the .step file? I'm an absolute beginner by the way... 

Posted by kai schueller at October 20. 2012

I solved it on my own, so no answer needed.

Thanks