Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use salome crashing when multiple independent sessions running

salome crashing when multiple independent sessions running

Up to Use

salome crashing when multiple independent sessions running

Posted by Chaz at January 07. 2013

Hello,

While attempting to run several automated salome / openfoam simulations where salome is killed by the port number, Salome is crashing.

I get errors such as:

*** Abort *** an exception was raised, but no catch was found.
*** glibc detected *** SALOME_Container: double free or corruption (!prev): 0x0000000000ffc040 ***
*** glibc detected *** SALOME_Container: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007f5ae4000087 ***

This seems to only happen when more than one simulation is running.  It does not occur as soon as the second simulation runs.  It crashes some time into the simulation after salome has opened and closed many times. Any thoughts as to what this error is?

Thanks!

Re: salome crashing when multiple independent sessions running

Posted by Chaz at January 27. 2013

Hello,

Anyone have an idea about this?  I really would like to get my large set of simulations running, with multiple salome sessions going at once, but they freeze each other.

Basically I am doing a monte carlo simulation of 3-6 geometric parameters, and am running 1000+ simulations to do this.  The fast way to do this is to have a multi processor code launch 8 or more runs at once, rather than having only one run at a time.  I would like to keep the 8 cores available to me busy and speed things up.  I have to run one at a time because when two salome sessions are running at the same time, I sometimes get this error.

Bump.

Posted by armjoshua at October 22. 2013

Hi, I met the same problem, have you solved your problem? I appreciate any comments / tips.

Thanks a lot.

Zhaoqiang Zhang

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at October 23. 2013

Hi,

I advise you to run Salome with -t option, that is without graphical user interface. In this mode, Salome exits at the end of the script without having to explicitly call killSalomeWithPort.

Please check that you don't run out of memory, that could cause the trouble.

It may happen, when launching several Salome at the same time, that the same port is used. This is currently under investigation.

Christophe

Posted by armjoshua at October 25. 2013

Hi Christophe,

Thanks a lot for the tips.

I did three different tests to show my observations.

In the 1st test, I just ran one session, and it went well.

In the 2nd test, I first launched the Salome with runAppli -t, then ran two sessions parallely. The two messed up, and no session ended up with success.

In the 3nd test, I ran two script paralely. and In side each script, I first lauched Salome with runAppli -t, and then start the session. The 1st session failed, the 2nd session was successful.

All the test log are given in the attached files.

I hope anyone interested in this topic can give some tips or advices. Or maybe technically it is impossible to run Salome parallely.

I have been stuck on this for several days. I have an impression that Salome doesn't support parallel sessions. But I didn't see any technical document to say things on parallel sessions.

Zhaoqiang Zhang

Attachments

The 3nd test log

Attachments

The 2nd test log

Attachments

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at November 04. 2013

Hi,

As I understand, you use runAppli, then several runSession to connect to this appli. I'm afraid this "multi-client" mode is not supported.

Why don't you simply run several runAppli?

runAppli -t script1.py

runAppli -t script2.py

Christophe

Posted by armjoshua at November 06. 2013
Hi, thanks for the reply.

What you said is actually my 3rd test case. 
If you run 

runAppli -t script1.py

runAppli -t script2.py

Script2 will kill script1, and you can only get the result for script2.

Have you ever done such kind of test successfully? It would be very nice to know.

Zhaoqiang Zhang

Posted by Alexander Kovacs at January 24. 2014

Similar issue here. I'm using Salome V 7.2.0 and trying to run 4 sessions at a time with 

runAppli -t <scriptname.py> --ns-port-log=salomePort.txt

and kill it with killSalomeWithPort.py <portnumber>

First and fourth runs without problems and the second and third crashes with exceptions. It seems that it's not every time the same exception. Would really appreciate help as well regarding this issue.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 687, in useSalome
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
  File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 534, in startSalome
    clt.waitNSPID("/Registry",myServer.PID)
  File "/home/<username>/salome/Salome-V7_2_0-LGPL-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_2_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 169, in waitNSPID
    raise RuntimeError, "Process %d for %s not found" % (thePID,theName)
RuntimeError: Process 2982 for /Registry not found

File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 687, in useSalome
  File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 603, in startSalome
    clt.waitNSPID("/Containers/" + theComputer + "/FactoryServer",myServer.PID)
  File "/home/<username>/salome/Salome-V7_2_0-LGPL-x86_64/modules/KERNEL_V7_2_0/bin/salome/orbmodule.py", line 169, in waitNSPID
RuntimeError: Process 3060 for /Containers/akovacs/FactoryServer not found

File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 603, in startSalome
    clt.waitNSPID("/Containers/" + theComputer + "/FactoryServer",myServer.PID)
RuntimeError: Process 3083 for /Containers/akovacs/FactoryServer not found

RaiseIfFailed("MakeFaceWires", self.ShapesOp)

File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salome/salome/geom/geomBuilder.py", line 231, in RaiseIfFailed
    RaiseIfFailed("MakeFaceWires", self.ShapesOp)
****  File "/home/<username>/salome/appli_V7_2_0/lib/python2.7/site-packages/salome/salome/geom/geomBuilder.py", line 231, in RaiseIfFailed
    raise RuntimeError, Method_name + " : " + Operation.GetErrorCode()
****RuntimeError: MakeFaceWires : AdvApp2Var_ApproxAFunc2Var : Curve Approximation Error
    raise RuntimeError, Method_name + " : " + Operation.GetErrorCode()
*****RuntimeError: MakeFaceWires : AdvApp2Var_ApproxAFunc2Var : Curve Approximation Error

Is someone else noticing inconsistent error messages?

Regards

PS.: This script is working if I'd execute one at a time

Posted by Alexander Kovacs at January 24. 2014

Hey guys,

found out a little workaround at least for me. You could write a small starter script in python for example which sleeps before calling the "runAppli" command. Works for me, hope for you guys as well.

<starter.py>

import time

import subprocess

time.sleep(10.0)

subprocess.call('runAppli -t <scriptname> --ns-port-log=salomePort.txt', shell=True)

Regards...