Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Viscous sublayers failing on diffuser geometry

Viscous sublayers failing on diffuser geometry

Up to Use

Viscous sublayers failing on diffuser geometry

Posted by Adam Jones at February 28. 2013

Hello everyone.

I am trying to make a mesh of a diffuser geometry and also a channel flow geometry. My channel flow should have the same cell distribution as the diffuser inlet.

When I mesh the geometry in Salome everything works OK with "automatic hexahedralization" but I can't seem to use a viscous sublayer hypothesis to create viscous sublayers. I worked around this with a 1D submesh but I would like to get the viscous layers hypothesis working.

The viscous sublayers work on the channel flow with no problems, but when I try to apply them to the diffuser I get 4 errors that say

"Invalid input mesh. Can't build pentahedral mesh on viscous layers" and another error that says

"Viscous layers builder: Wrongly meshed EDGE 123".

I have attached a python script of my mesh, however I noticed that it generates an error in Salome (I am using v 6.4.0). Below is a link to the hdf of my geometry and mesh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5bcv0vo18ejsqf/visc_layers_diffuser.hdf

I was wondering if anyone knew how I might solve this problem, and create a diffuser mesh with viscous sublayers?

Thank you very much,

Adam

Attachments

Re: Viscous sublayers failing on diffuser geometry

Posted by SMESH expert at March 01. 2013

Hello Adam

I found a reason of the bug. I have no time to fix right now, I'll do it next week. Hope it's not fatal for you.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by SMESH expert at March 01. 2013

Dear Adam

I SALOME-6.6.0 there is "Viscous Layrs 2D" hypotesis. It seems it can be used in your case.

Best regards

Edward

Posted by Adam Jones at March 01. 2013

Hi Edward,

I'll be away next week actually so if you got the chance to fix the bug then it would be excellent. For the time being I can work around this with a 1D hypothesis so the problem is not fatal. In the future though I will need to be able to create 3D boundary layers.

In the mean time I'll take a look at updating to version 6.6.0.

Best regards,

Adam

Posted by SMESH expert at March 07. 2013

Hello Adam

I have produced the fix. I can provide you with the patched source file so that you be able to rebuild the Mesh module with it. For which SALOME version to provide the source file?

Best regards

Edward

Posted by Adam Jones at March 11. 2013

Hi Edward,

Could you provide the patch for version 6.6.0 please? Also I am not completely sure what I need to do to rebuild the mesh module. Do you know where I can find some guidance on how to do this?

Thank you,

Adam

Posted by SMESH expert at March 11. 2013

Hello Adam

Here is the patch.

For the guidance on how to use this patch please see the following thread where an exactly same task was solved

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/537530484

Best regards

Edward

Attachments