Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use A discussion about two new features in 5.1.4 ...

A discussion about two new features in 5.1.4 ...

Up to Use

A discussion about two new features in 5.1.4 ...

Posted by Erwan ADAM at July 20. 2010

Hi every salome users,

I would like to discuss two new features of 5.1.4 which does not appear in release notes (it is my own fault, I have not read them enough carefully).

1. The GIBI driver in MED module is now able to read castem file save in native castem format (i.e. the xdr format). More precisely, before 5.1.4, to save a file readable in salome from castem you have to precise OPTI SAUV FORMAT 'foo.sauv' now it is not necessary to precise FORMAT. Note that the write part of GIBI driver still save formatted files.
Note for windows users : The import sauv facility in SMESH and VISU works now with xdr files.

2. The local sizes feature has been added in NETGEN smesh plugin. A new tab 'local sizes' has been added in netgen hypothesis dialog box. You can add a local size on vertices and edges. Note that it is not necessary these vertices and edges to be sub-shape of the shape to mesh. For instance, to refine at middle of a face, you just have to create a vertex at the wanted position and add a local size on this vertex. To achieve that, just select the vertex in study and click "On Vertex" in local size dialog box.
Note for windows users : On windows, the 4.9.13 version of netgen is used. Within the version, you can add a local size on faces too. The only difference with previous ones is that the considered faces must be sub-shape of the main shape.

Best regards,

Erwan.

Re: A discussion about two new features in 5.1.4 ...

Posted by pierre_j at July 21. 2010

Dear Erwan,

I thank you for these highlights.

Please, I have a small quesion regarding mesh with fields converter integration in Salome: is there a preferred module for such an integration?

I indeed noticed that one can find 'drivers' from 'Online developer documentation' both in modules:

* 'MEDMEM' (VTK, and Ensight most notably)

* and in 'SMESH' (UNV, DAT?, STL, and now SAUV (but I didn't find any class about this last format in the 'SMESH' documentation))

Is there a trend toward the integration of all the drivers in only one of the module (MEDMEM seems to us more suited as methods to handle fields are available on the opposite to SMESH)?

I thank you in advance for your reply.

Bests,

Pierre

PS: the formats targeted for new mesh + field converter are input format for FEM. The fields are actually initial conditions of the computation like heterogeneous shell thickness for instance for surface mesh.

Posted by pierre_j at July 23. 2010

Dear Erwan,

Please, I re-read very very carefully your first post :) , and could you confirm these guesses please (the topic is again on Salome converter integration)?

=> "The GIBI driver in MED module is now able to read castem file": I had a look on what xdr files may contain.

xdr files seem to be files that can contain ...meshes..., ...to which can be attached fields (result Cast3m files)..., ....and this for different increments (different mesh states)... is it right?

Also, I understand that you integrated such a driver in MEDMEM.

Please, may you answer to these 2 "last but not least" questions?

=> "Note for windows users : The import sauv facility in SMESH and VISU works now with xdr files."

I was told that there was not "direct" MED link between the MEDMEM module and modules SMESH & VISU.

That is to say a mesh managed in MEDMODULE has to be written in MED file to be imported back in SMESH or VISU. It cannot be transmitted transparently between these modules directly through the Salome TUI or GUI without the "save/read MED file" step.

=> How do you manage it? Can SMESH and VISU call MEDMEM library and did you implement access to this MEDMEM SAUV interface then in SMESH & VISU?

Finally, the last question (maybe it is nonsense if xdr file format do not allow to save several increments in a single file): you indicate that you can import xdr file in SMESH: if there are several mesh states for the different increments in the xdr file, which one is considered to import the mesh in SMESH?

Erwan, I deeply thank you in advance for the popssible tips you can provide.

Bests,

Pierre

Posted by pierre_j at July 23. 2010

Hoi, at least I found in MEDMEM hints about GIBI driver.

Bests,

Pierre