Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Hexotic in SALOME

Hexotic in SALOME

Up to Use

Hexotic in SALOME

Posted by Mohammed Hussain at September 19. 2012

Hello Everyone,

Has anybody use hexotic meshing algorithm in SALOME? Hexotic produces output mesh files in .mesh or .meshb formats. Does anybody know how to view these formats in SALOME?

Many thanks,

Mohammed

Re: Hexotic in SALOME

Posted by Chaz at September 20. 2012

Hello,

As far as I know, Hexotic requires the installation of a commercial meshing package.  Salome has only the capability to reference the third party commercial mesher Hexotic, if installed and licensed.  Last year I contacted the company and got a short trial license.  I was not able to get it working for my needs, but perhaps it would work for you. 

Thanks

Posted by SMESH expert at September 20. 2012

Hello Mohammed

When one uses Hexotic as a SALOME plug-in, the generated is read into memory hence it can be shown in the 3D Viewer and it can be exported to a file in any format supported by SALOME. Thus you are not to care of importing .mesh and .meshb files when you use Hexotic in SALOME.

By the way, the next SALOME version will be able to import files produced by Hexotic.

Edward

Posted by Mohammed Hussain at September 21. 2012

Previously Chaz wrote:

Hello,

As far as I know, Hexotic requires the installation of a commercial meshing package.  Salome has only the capability to reference the third party commercial mesher Hexotic, if installed and licensed.  Last year I contacted the company and got a short trial license.  I was not able to get it working for my needs, but perhaps it would work for you. 

Thanks

Hi Chaz,

Many thanks. Hexotic seems to be working for me. SALOME GUI doesn't have all the options that are available in Hexotic. I tried to run it from a terminal to explore the available options; however, I found that Hexotic outputs files in .mesh or .meshb formats which cannot be viewed in SALOME.

Mohammed

Previously SMESH/MED expert wrote:

Hello Mohammed

When one uses Hexotic as a SALOME plug-in, the generated is read into memory hence it can be shown in the 3D Viewer and it can be exported to a file in any format supported by SALOME. Thus you are not to care of importing .mesh and .meshb files when you use Hexotic in SALOME.

By the way, the next SALOME version will be able to import files produced by Hexotic.

Edward

Hi Edward,

I was able to invoke Hexotic from SALOME through its GUI to generate hexahedral mesh elements and view the mesh in the vtk viewer. However, in the GUI, I got only one option to set Hexotic parameters in terms of 'Nb. Hexes in Min. Level' and 'Nb. Hexes in Max. Level'. In fact, there are other options to control the hexahedral mesh through the command line, such as mins and maxs - controlling the minimum and maximum sizes of the cells, respectively.

Could you provide more info on how to use Hexotic as a SALOME plug-in from the command line? Is there any document providing the details?

Do you mean SALOME 6.5 would able to import files produced in Hexotic?

Many thanks,

Mohammed

Posted by SMESH expert at September 21. 2012

Exactly, SALOME 6.6 will be able to import files produced by Hexotic.

One can use Hexotic in a python script this way:

import smesh
mesh = smesh.Mesh(shape)
Hexotic_3D = smesh.CreateHypothesis('Hexotic_3D', 'HexoticEngine')
mesh.AddHypothesis( shape, Hexotic_3D )
Hexotic_Parameters = smesh.CreateHypothesis('Hexotic_Parameters', 'HexoticEngine')
mesh.AddHypothesis( shape, Hexotic_Parameters )

hexotic options correspond to the following methods of Hexotic_Parameters:

-minl    void SetHexesMinLevel(in long value);
-maxl    void SetHexesMaxLevel(in long value);
-nr      void SetHexoticIgnoreRidges(in boolean value);
-inv     void SetHexoticInvalidElements(in boolean value);
-ra      void SetHexoticSharpAngleThreshold(in long value);
-nproc   void SetHexoticNbProc(in long value);

mins and maxs options will be available in SALOME 6.6 (approximately December 2012).

Edward

Previously SMESH/MED expert wrote:

Exactly, SALOME 6.6 will be able to import files produced by Hexotic.

One can use Hexotic in a python script this way:

import smesh
mesh = smesh.Mesh(shape)
Hexotic_3D = smesh.CreateHypothesis('Hexotic_3D', 'HexoticEngine')
mesh.AddHypothesis( shape, Hexotic_3D )
Hexotic_Parameters = smesh.CreateHypothesis('Hexotic_Parameters', 'HexoticEngine')
mesh.AddHypothesis( shape, Hexotic_Parameters )

hexotic options correspond to the following methods of Hexotic_Parameters:

-minl    void SetHexesMinLevel(in long value);
-maxl    void SetHexesMaxLevel(in long value);
-nr      void SetHexoticIgnoreRidges(in boolean value);
-inv     void SetHexoticInvalidElements(in boolean value);
-ra      void SetHexoticSharpAngleThreshold(in long value);
-nproc   void SetHexoticNbProc(in long value);

mins and maxs options will be available in SALOME 6.6 (approximately December 2012).

Edward

Many thanks Edward!