Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use SubShape function = random

SubShape function = random

Up to Use

SubShape function = random

Posted by Gilles Vogt at April 10. 2013

Hi,

I found that the subshape function appears to be random (I'm using Salome 6.6 univ. binary for linux).

As an attached file, I provided an example of this behavior (to run it, please adapt the "PATH" variable according to the location on your HDD where you untar-ed it). If you run it twice or more, the Face_i objects within Geometry/Modele will differ.

Am I doing anything wrong ?

Cheers,

Attachments

Re: SubShape function = random

Posted by SMESH expert at April 10. 2013

Hello Gilles

The problem is that complex operations like Partition do not provide the same order of sub-shapes within the result shape. Hence, using indexes to get a certain sub-shape is not recommended. One can use geompy.SubShapeAllSortedCentres() or geompy. SubShapeSortedCentres(), geompy. ExtractShapes(..., isSorted=True) to get sub-shapes in a stable order. Another way is to use functions based on geometrical checks like geompy.GetFaceNearPoint() etc.

Best regards
Edward

Posted by Gilles Vogt at April 10. 2013

Actually, I'm using extractshapes instead, but subshape is the function that is dumped by salome in python after exploding a complex shape manually (gui). In my case, it allows me to select only a few surfaces, or explode complex geometries (>1000 volumes) as a sorted-(human-friendly) list (which appears to be hardly possible without the selection in the gui).

So you are saying that the partition tool randomizes the order of subshapes ? I find it very detrimental for salome (I couldn't imagine that running two times the same program with the same inputs could lead to different results; in other codes it is just called a bug).

Anyway, I wanted to share this bug/behavior in case you were ignoring it, thanks for your answer.

Posted by SMESH expert at April 10. 2013

People say it's a bug.
I even think that Python dump of "Explode" with selected sub-shape could also be done using some function using sorted sub-shape.
Anyway the bug fix and the improvement of dump of Explode are a matter of the future. The nearest release won't include them.
Best regards
Edward