Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use problems importing .iges and .stp files

problems importing .iges and .stp files

Up to Use

problems importing .iges and .stp files

Posted by Susan Tully at May 06. 2013

Hello,

I have been building my geometries using Ansys DesignModeller and importing them into Salome for meshing. The only two file formats shared by both softwares are the IGES and STEP types. However, I have found that when using either I can get missing geometry or even additional geometry when I look at things in code saturne - for example when importing a cubic channel surrounding a hollowed out nacelle in Salome the nose of the nacelle is no longer hollow, a shell sphere has been added inside it.

Is this something specific to these file formats in Salome or a general problem with using them? Or should they be workign properly and there is something wierd about my geometry?

thanks in advance

Susan

Re: problems importing .iges and .stp files

Posted by Saint Michael at May 06. 2013

Hi Susan

Just try to mesh your geometry, maybe the mesh will be OK.

St.Michael

Hi St Michael,

It doesnt like it when I try to mesh, specifically in the nose of the nacelle region where the geometry is mucking up. I have attached the python script if you want to have a look, though dont worry if you are busy I will keep playing around and see what I find.

The geometry is called partition_1 and the additional sphere that should not be there is called EXTRAFACE within it (when I tried removing this sphere it alters the shape of the nose of the nacele (labelled nose, nose1...nose4). I have been trying to mesh solids 1 though 9 (excluding channel) using a hex mesh and the surrounding channel using tet. Eventually I will constrain the outside sides of the channel to be quad as this block I am making is to be inserted into a much larger structured brick mesh.

I guess it is time I learnt to build gemoetry within Salome!

cheers

Susan

Attachments

Posted by Saint Michael at May 06. 2013

I'd look at your geometry but the STEP file is missing (the script just calls Import command to load the missing STEP file).

St.Michael

Ah, didnt realise sorry. Here it is!

Attachments

Posted by Susan Tully at May 09. 2013

Hello,

As an update I have fixed this problem by learning to use the salome geometry builder and fixing the parts of my model that were missing from the IGES import.

However. I now have a problem with regards the geometry builder. To build my nacelle I made a 2d sketch of ot and revolved it 360' around its central axis. But this leaves me with an 'edge'  on my solid where my revolution started and ends. How do I get rid of this? I have tried glue or sew edge/face to remove it but nothing works. This is causing me problems when I come to partition as it is cutting faces in half that I would like to mesh whole :(

Im guessing this is a simple fix....I just dont know it!

thanks in advance

Susan

Posted by Susan Tully at May 10. 2013

I have moved my question here:

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/825859722

Since it is a new topic really