Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use [GEOM] How to partition a face in the same body

[GEOM] How to partition a face in the same body

Up to Use

[GEOM] How to partition a face in the same body

Posted by Cacciatorino at November 05. 2012

I have a few solids of a little structure. I will couple them later in the aster command file by the use of the LIAISON_MAIL command.

What I need is: let's call C1 and C2 two solids, and C1_A and C2_A the regions of each one to be coupled. C1A is a whole face of of the C1 body, while C2_A should be the projection of C1_A on C2 body (let's imagin that C2 is bigger than C1)

What i have done to obtain the C2_A region was to use the partition comand, using the C1_A face as tool: the problem here is that the new created item (PARTITION_1) is outside the C2 body in the model tree, so totally useless. Is there a way to create this region on the C2 body, making that it will be still under the same parent? I haveto create at least 12 of these couplings on my model, so it could be really useful to find a solution.

Attachments

Re: [GEOM] How to partition a face in the same body

Posted by Saint Michael at November 06. 2012

Hi

To get what you need, you should use C1 and C2 as objects in Partition operation. See Partition_1 and it's child group C2_A in the attached study.

St.Michael

Attachments

Posted by Cacciatorino at November 06. 2012

May be I was unclear: the problem of your workflow is that it requires that a new entity Partition_1 is created, that is exactly what I want to avoid.

Let's think to this scenario:

I have a body and I have already created the mesh of it. Now I want to add a chamfer, a radius, an hole, or ,as in my case, I want to divide in two or more parts an existing face. At each operation, Salome creates a new geometrical object in the model tree, so the mesh associated to the parent object does not reflects the changes that exists on each child. This lead to a big consuming of time if I need to modify the original shape, because I have to recreate the whole mesh from scratch at each modification in the geometrical object.

I'm a mechanical designer and I use windows-based CAD modeler daily, and all of them operates in the way that I was describing: every operation on a solid is contained on the solid itself, and this is very useful to mantain faces IDs, constrains etc. I don't know if SALOME works in this way due to a limitation of the kernel or it is a choice of software design, but I don't feel this is the good way.

Posted by Saint Michael at November 06. 2012

I share your desire but unfortunately SALOME can't modify objects except groups. A new object is always created as result of an operation.

AFAIK the geometrical engine of SALOME (Open Cascade) is able to implement such a behavior but SALOME is implemented as ordinary as possible, from a developer point of view.

St.Michael