Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Unable to treat square channel as a volume entity in CFX

Unable to treat square channel as a volume entity in CFX

Up to Use
  • Unable to treat square channel as a volume entity in CFX

Posted by Kwun Ho Ngan at October 07. 2007
    Hi,

I have created a square channel and mesh it by using a 3d extrusion. Other algorithm includes quad preference and quad meshing for (1D-2D).

Everything goes fine by importing the unv from Salome to CFX. However, I realise that the volume is 0 when I try to click on the mesh statistics in CFX. Is there something that I have done wrong?

I can email you the unv and hdf file (~10mb total) if someone would like to have a look for me?

Many thanks.

Harris
    • Re: Unable to treat square channel as a volume entity in CFX

Posted by Kwun Ho Ngan at October 08. 2007
      To add on, I have tried to create a simple box with a hex (i,j,k) mesh.

Nonetheless, i receive the following error in CFX-solver
       A negative ELEMENT volume has been detected.  This is a fatal error and execution will be terminated.

I don't see why there should be a negative element volume but then the mesh statistics reflects 0m3 for the box volume.

This puzzles me. Assistance please.

Many thanks

Posted by Joël Cugnoni at October 08. 2007
        Hello,

I am not 100% sure but it looks like there is an error/incompatibility when reading the element connectivities from UNV in CFX. Did you try with tetrahedra, just to see if it works? If you can find more information on the supported versions of UNV or I-deas in CFX, this could give you an idea.
        Maybe CFX wants different datasets in the UNV file (UNV format definition is really extensive...)

You could also try to find a UNV file in the CFX examples and try to compare it with the ones that are generated by Salome.

Good luck.

Posted by Kwun Ho Ngan at October 08. 2007
          You are actually quite right. It seems that there is an error when I export a hexa mesh into an academic license of CFX in campus.

Is there someone who can try if hexa mesh can be exported to a full commercial CFX? Just want to see if I should change the license or I need an alternative solver.