Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use volume mesh from triangular surface mesh ?

volume mesh from triangular surface mesh ?

Up to Use
  • volume mesh from triangular surface mesh ?

Posted by Peter Hedberg at August 10. 2005
    Dear All, In Salome; Is there a way to produce a volume mesh (tetra mesh) directly from a surface mesh (triangular) ? Or does one have to go through all the steps, 1D,2D,3D from a geometry. I have tried this successfully. Say I import a 2D mesh. Can I from there generate a 3D mesh, in the absence of a geometry ? (Like you would feed a surface mesh into GHS3D, Tetgen or equivalent ?) Anyone ? Peter Hedberg
    • Re: volume mesh from triangular surface mesh ?

Posted by bernard pilling at August 15. 2005

I am not yet a user of Salome,  But have worked as an FE analyst for many years.

I think from your question you are suggesting creating 3-d Tets by extruding and sweeping 2-d triangles.

Nice idea, but it would still require automatic tet meshing of the extruded volume. You can of course virtually do this by creating all your geometry in prisms (extruded triangles) and  then auto mesh those volumes.

For me,  I am not a fan of tets. they are used because no one has a decent set of algorithms to produce hex meshes automatically.  But tet meshing is fast and good for development if you are not doing the geometry your self.  They are over stiff and so can skew results unless the modelled component is entirely meshed in tets.

Regards

BernFrank

• Re: volume mesh from triangular surface mesh ?

Posted by Yves Fricaud at September 02. 2005
      ><font>

If your question is about generation of 3D Mesh from 2D mesh by sweeping, extrusion, revolution, It's possible in the version 2.2.2
      If your question is about Meshing of an internal volume of a closed surface defined by a 2D Mesh, this user service is not yet available in SALOME. (even if internaly GHS3D, netgen,etc... are computed from a set of triangles)