Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use easy 3D drawing

easy 3D drawing

Up to Use
  • easy 3D drawing

Posted by DenisG at November 25. 2005
    Hi all

I'm a teacher and I'm looking for a Linux replacement to Solidworks.
    I'm trying Salome via CAELinux, it looks great, but I'm wondering if I can easily start a drawing in the Solidworks way: Draw one or several simple shapes using mouse only, without caring about dimensions, and then enter dimensions. I don't want to care about coordinates.
    I didn't find a way to do this, is there one?

DenisG
    • Re: easy 3D drawing

Posted by Yves Fricaud at December 09. 2005
      DenisG wrote:
      Hi all

I'm trying Salome via CAELinux, it looks great, but I'm wondering if I can easily start a drawing in the Solidworks way: Draw one or several simple shapes using mouse only, without caring about dimensions, and then enter dimensions. I don't want to care about coordinates.

DenisG

Hi

SALOME doesn't allow to create sketch and shape as you defined. Main reason is that module Geometry of SALOME is not a parametric model.

Regards
      Yves Fricaud

Posted by Leo Walton at August 30. 2009
        Yves Fricaud wrote:
        DenisG wrote:
        Hi all

DenisG

Hi

SALOME doesn't allow to create sketch and shape as you defined. Main reason is that module Geometry of SALOME is not a parametric model.

Regards
        Yves Fricaud

VariCAD for Linux . Not free however, though I think there is a time limited demo version available .
        http://www.varicad.com/en/home/

Posted by Cacciatorino at August 30. 2009
          Have a look at "Graphite-one".

But, why to choose to use a linux platform to learn cad packages? At the moment, there are just a few companies using linux as cad-platform (Pro/Engineer WF3 and Unigraphics NX), you risk to learn something that will be not so usefull for your student.
          More: it seems to me that SWX can be obtained for free for educational purposes.

Posted by ivr at August 31. 2009
            1. There is the Salome version for Windows (still early beta)

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_14/thread_2896

2. If you are going to use Windows, take a look at the Alibre Design.

http://www.alibre.com

Alibre Xpress version is free, however, it has no export to STEP format. Alibre Standard actually is available for $99. Perhaps it can be used for model preparation for Salome.