Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Problem with meshing

Problem with meshing

Up to Use
  • Problem with meshing

Posted by Isabel at February 28. 2006
    Hi to everybody,
    First of all, thank-you Francis for your answer.
    I am trying to create a simpler piece even, a 2D retangle. So:
    1) In Geometry:
    - I create  four vertices
    - I connect them through four lines
    - I build a wire with these four lines
    - I build a face from the previous wire
    2) In Mesh:
    Here, the problem comes up, I would like to mesh the previos geometry (the retangle in 2 dimension) into 3x3=9 quadrilateral elements.
    So, as hypotheses I choose "Max. Element Area" and as algorithms I choose "Quadrangle (Mapping)".
    Then, I select the face and click the botton of compute mesh.
    The error message that I get is: "Messing parameters"
    I don't know what I am doing wrong and I would be really grateful for receiving some advice.
    Thank-you very much
    Isa
    • Re: Problem with meshing

Posted by Kloss Francis at February 28. 2006
      Hi Isabel,

To mesh your case, the steps are:
          1) Take 1D algorithm "Wire discretization"
              and choose an 1D hypothesis: in your case "number of segments" with 3 for the value associated,
          2) Take 2D algorithm "Quadrangle (mapping)", in this case with no hypothesis,
          3) Your case is ready to mesh

Cordially,
      Francis KLOSS

Hi!
        Thank-you, now I don't get any error meshing. Thanks!!

I have another question: when I display the element's numbering, the contour of my rectangle is also divided in edge elements and I would like to have only face elements, i.e., I get 21 elements (12 edge elements and 9 face elements) but I would like to have only the 9 face elements.

I have eliminated the edge elements from the "Modification" menu and selecting  "remove elements", then I renumbering elements. In this way, I get only the 9 face elements as I wanted, but I wonder whether there is a straight method from the beginning of meshing.

(Another suprising question is that the VTK viewer is always flickering, perhaps I missed selecting some preferences but I don't know which ones or perhaps it is due to the fact that I am working in a remote computer, any idea?)

Again, thank-you very much for your time and best regards!
        Isa

Hi!
        Thank-you, now I don't get any error meshing. Thanks!!

I have another question: when I display the element's numbering, the contour of my rectangle is also divided in edge elements and I would like to have only face elements, i.e., I get 21 elements (12 edge elements and 9 face elements) but I would like to have only the 9 face elements.

I have eliminated the edge elements from the "Modification" menu and selecting  "remove elements", then I renumbering elements. In this way, I get only the 9 face elements as I wanted, but I wonder whether there is a straight method from the beginning of meshing.

(Another suprising question is that the VTK viewer is always flickering, perhaps I missed selecting some preferences but I don't know which ones or perhaps it is due to the fact that I am working in a remote computer, any idea?)

Again, thank-you very much for your time and best regards!
        Isa

Posted by Kloss Francis at February 28. 2006
          Isabel,

1) Today, it is not possible to display only face (or edge) numbers.

2) If you delete the edges of your mesh and after you display the numbering, of course you obtain your numbering
                 but notice that your mesh is probably not good, you have probably need also the edges ?

3) Yes you are right, if you "export display", the graphic views are some "flick" behavior.

Cordially,

Francis KLOSS