Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Use Salome tetrahedron mesher fails

Salome tetrahedron mesher fails

Up to Use
  • Salome tetrahedron mesher fails

Posted by JMB at September 11. 2006
    Hello all,

I am using Salome 3.2.1 to tetrahedron mesh a fairly complex solid imported via Catia V's STEP translator. On one occassion I was able to successfully mesh using:

1. Wire Discretization; Av Length = 3
    2. Triangle (Mefisto); Length from Edges ...
    3. Tetrahedron (Netgen); Max Vol = 100

But I am finding that subsequent attempts on the same model, on the same PC, result in failures. It is this inconsistent behavior that puzzles me. I am very certain that it had worked successfully that one time, because I was carefully documenting every variation I was using and I was careful to check the meshes "Detailed Mesh Info" to confirm the existance of 3D elements.

Has anybody else encountered a similar experience? If so were you able to find a work around or a tweak? Is it the "Mefisto algorithm fails occassionally" bug documented in the release notes that I am encountering?  I would like to hear from others who are using Salome to mesh a solid object with say 50 or more faces.  Perhaps that will help us novices in gaining more confidence in the meshing abilities of Salome in an academic/industrial setting.

Thanks
    • Re: Salome tetrahedron mesher fails

Posted by Sergey Mozokhin at September 11. 2006

Hello,

Have you tried to use NETGEN 1-2-3D (complete solution for tetra) for your case?

It's fact that MEFISTO is not very robust for results ... However sometimes it's possible to fit parameters to achive necessary mesh.

I can have a look on your shape if it's not confidential.

Regards,

Sergey.

Posted by JMB at September 11. 2006
        Sergey Mozokhin wrote:

Hello,
        Have you tried to use NETGEN 1-2-3D (complete solution for tetra) for your case?
        It's fact that MEFISTO is not very robust for results ... However sometimes it's possible to fit parameters to achive necessary mesh.

I can have a look on your shape if it's not confidential.

Regards,
        Sergey.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried almost every method there is (including Netgen 1-2-3D) and they all fail consistently.  If one method works at one time, then a re-attempt of the same with identical parameters fails on the subsequent attempt.  The unreliability is annoying.  I will have to find out about the confidentiality of the model before posting it here.

Any other suggestions? Anybody?
        JMB

Posted by Sergey Mozokhin at September 12. 2006
          Perhaps your model contain some bad geometry (small faces or edges?) and it's necessary to "heal" it before. Try to call fixsmalledges (faces) in GEOM module.

Posted by Pei-Ying Hsieh at September 20. 2006

Hi, Sergey,

I  ran into the same problem.  I am trying to mesh a medium complex geometry and meshing failed.  I have tried all the mesh schemes.

Can you explain how to call fixsmalledges?  I typed fixsmalledges in the command window and got a "Syntax Error".

Best Regards,

phsieh2005

Hi, Sergey,

I  ran into the same problem.  I am trying to mesh a medium complex geometry and meshing failed.  I have tried all the mesh schemes.

Can you explain how to call fixsmalledges?  I typed fixsmalledges in the command window and got a "Syntax Error".

Best Regards,

phsieh2005

Hi, Sergey,

Best Regards,

phsieh2005

Posted by JMB at September 21. 2006
            Sergey Mozokhin wrote:
            Perhaps your model contain some bad geometry (small faces or edges?) and it's necessary to "heal" it before. Try to call fixsmalledges (faces) in GEOM module.

Sergey,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried the fixsmalledges(faces) and it does not help.  It appears that the meshing Netgen routines are not robust.  I will test with more models to verify the situation.

To run fixsmalledges I presume you mean; access it from "Repair -> Shape Processing -> (various fixes)"

Regards,
            JMB