Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? How to add a boundary condition in salome?

How to add a boundary condition in salome?

Up to How to use Salome?

How to add a boundary condition in salome?

Posted by Zhang Ji at November 05. 2014
Hello everyone,

I am try to create some FEM modoles using salome. From the tutorials I know how to build a geometry and mesh it. But I can not found how to add the boundary conditons. 

Could anyone tell me where to finish this process, or show me some examples. 

Thank you !

Re: How to add a boundary condition in salome?

Posted by Bernhard Linseisen at November 29. 2014

Just for completeness (I guess you found a solution already by now) :

At least for OpenFOAM (and probably for other softwares as well) the boundary conditions are built from "groups" defined in Salome. Therefore:

Build your geometry in the GEOM-module, ->build a Compound from it and ->explode that compound into faces and edges.

Mesh your geometry in the MESH-module based on the Compound elements. Use ->Create Groups from Geometry and do so for all of the faces produced during compound-explosion. Then you should be fine to export the mesh. The groups will become your boundaries which you will have to specify in the other code you are using.

Be advised: Some codes might need an additional step: Within the Modification-menu you will find an entry ->Create boundary elements. But as I am working with OpenFOAM only, I never had to use that and cannot tell you anything about that.