Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? Importing STEP files

Importing STEP files

Up to How to use Salome?

Importing STEP files

Posted by tony smith at April 12. 2013

Please can anyone tell me where to find the information I need to be able to import STEP (.STP) files?

The import menu would only allow me to import UNV, MED, STL, SAUV and GMF files. Am I missing something very obvious?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Importing STEP files

Posted by Saint Michael at April 12. 2013

Hi tony smith

SALOME is unable to import/export mesh data in STEP format. Only geometrical objects can be (re-)stored in STEP files.

St.Michael

Thanks St.Michael,

Please can I ask a follow up question before I open another thread? I actually want to save the MESH points of the surface of an object into a file using SALOME.

If I restore the STEP file as a geometry object, create a mesh from the geometry object and then export the MESH as a DAT file, the DAT file only contains one line of point 0 0.

Is there anyway in which I can 'mesh' an imported geometry object and then have all those (mesh) points on the surface  displayed in the DAT file?

It seems that you only created a mesh object but not generated mesh elements. Invoke "Edit mesh/sub-mesh" command on your mesh object in the Object browser, in the opened dialog, in 2D tab, select Netgen 1D-2D as Algorithm, Apply and Close. Invoke "Compute" command on your mesh object. After that your newly exported dat file should not be empty.

St.Michael

St.Michael, you are a lifesaver. I am getting a lot closer to what I want and I would like to thank you for your patience and the clarity of your posts.

I am assuming you are quite experienced in using SALOME. This stuff that you have just explained to me, is there anywhere I could have found the information (e.g. a help file) as It seems so logical and straightforward?

One more question, please do you know where I can find information regarding interpreting the contents of the DAT file? I can guess what some are but not all.

Thanks once more St.Michael, I have been evaluating a few CAD applications and SALOME might be a way forward for me as there is the added benefit of getting hold of the source code too.

This stuff that you have just explained to me, is there anywhere I could have found the information (e.g. a help file) as It seems so logical and straightforward?

What I said can be found here http://docs.salome-platform.org/salome_6_6_0/gui/SMESH/constructing_meshes_page.html

One more question, please do you know where I can find information regarding interpreting the contents of the DAT file? I can guess what some are but not all.

I don't know what is the format of that DAT file.

St.Michael

Thanks v, that help file looked so daunting when I previously looked at it. It makes a lot more sense now.

Posted by tony smith at April 15. 2013

In case anyone is interested in the format of a DAT file:

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/thread_1258#61205960