Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? [Feature request] Enabling MinSize as part of Netgen 2D hypothesis

[Feature request] Enabling MinSize as part of Netgen 2D hypothesis

Up to How to use Salome?

[Feature request] Enabling MinSize as part of Netgen 2D hypothesis

Posted by Roman Lygin at May 14. 2011

Currently (in 5.1.5) Netgen 2D hypothesis only provides the max size parameter (in addition to grading, nb_seg_per_edge, etc). Netgeun it slef, however, offers more than that, and, in particular, the min size. Salome defaults it to 0 which can lead to infinite loops on some 3D models. For instance, the attached model can be successfully meshed with setting min_size=10, max_size=15 programmatically but fails to be meshed with max_size=15 when set in GUI. Such sensitivity can probably appear on NURBS surfaces/curves with non-uniform parameterization.

So, please do consider extending GUI and API to support the min size parameter. To ensure consistency with prior versions it can be defaulted to zero.

Thank you,

Roman

Attachments

Re: [Feature request] Enabling MinSize as part of Netgen 2D hypothesis

Posted by Erwan ADAM at May 17. 2011

Hi Roman,
Indeed, it is a good idea to add the min size parameter in salome netgen plugin.
Unfortunately, the next version (6.3.0) is now on the rails (near the internal release candidate) and the feature integrations are now closed.
I will check if it can be done for 6.3.1.
Regards, E.A.

Re: [Feature request] Enabling MinSize as part of Netgen 2D hypothesis

Posted by Roman Lygin at May 17. 2011

Hi Erwan,

Thanks for sharing this idea. Will look forward to getting it done. Meanwhile, on a programmatic level I have worked-around it by calling Netgen API directly, in addition to SMESH_NETGENPlugin.

By the way, I wonder, what is the rationale behind version numbering in Salome: from 5.1.5 to 6.3.0 ? Is there any logic behind this ?

Thanks,

Roman