Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? Anybody with experience using SALOME-meca?

Anybody with experience using SALOME-meca?

Up to How to use Salome?

Anybody with experience using SALOME-meca?

Posted by Luca Paroni at October 03. 2012

Hi,

I have a specif question: SALOME-meca will consider an imported STL file of a cylinder as a volume or just the surfaces?

thanks,

Luca 

Re: Anybody with experience using SALOME-meca?

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at October 04. 2012

Hi,

The STL format contains only triangles, so the imported mesh will just have face elements. But if your surface mesh defines a closed shell, you can use SMESH to generate the tetrahedrons inside it: Menu Edit Mesh, add Tetrahedron (Netgen), then Compute.

Christophe

Posted by Luca Paroni at October 10. 2012

thank you. I will give it a try. thanks

Luca

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Hi,

The STL format contains only triangles, so the imported mesh will just have face elements. But if your surface mesh defines a closed shell, you can use SMESH to generate the tetrahedrons inside it: Menu Edit Mesh, add Tetrahedron (Netgen), then Compute.

Christophe

Posted by Luca Paroni at October 12. 2012

Hi Christophe,

I want to share with you this information, but maybe you already know that and you can already explain the reason..

We made a STL file but on the CT scan there were 2 options: ascii STL or bin STL

I saw that when you try to import a mesh in salome-meca, it ask you ASCII extension. So of course we need to give ASCII STL file as an input, but why a bin STL is not recognize?

Is also a way for me to learn something new that can be usefull for all the other users.

Thanks as always,

Luca

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at October 12. 2012

Hi Luca,

Actually, Salome can import STL files, both in ascii and binary format. The limitation to the ascii format in the name of the file selection filter is not correct. Just choose the STL file type when importing your ascii or binary STL file.

Christophe

Posted by Luca Paroni at October 15. 2012

Ok, from what I experienced it worked with ASCII and not with bin.

My colleague provided me the bin file. I tried to import the mesh and it didn't work so I said ok lets try to obtain an STL with ASCII format and then I tried again and that time worked. For me is fine but this is what I experienced. 

Im using SALOME-Meca on the CAELinux OS just to share all the informations. Let me know if is strange or not.

Luca