Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? export to STEP format and retaining face names

export to STEP format and retaining face names

Up to How to use Salome?
  • export to STEP format and retaining face names

Posted by Simon Matlok at March 20. 2013

Hello,

I need to exchange geometry between SALOME and another program. The STEP format would be perfect for this. However I need the face names to be preserved in the STEP file created by SALOME. I seem not to be able to do so.

As a small test cases I created a box and the its six faces using explode. I then renamed some of the faces and created a group with the box and its six faces. The resulting STEP file of the group seem not to hold any face names at all. This is seen when importing the STEP file into SALOME again, where the default names for the faces appear when using explode on the import geometry. A inspection of the STEP file also shows this:    

>>cat Group_1.step | grep ADVANCED_FACE

#48 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#49),#63,.F.);
    #141 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#142),#156,.T.);
    #234 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#235),#245,.F.);
    #293 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#294),#304,.T.);
    #352 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#353),#359,.F.);
    #385 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#386),#392,.T.);

I have then tried to add a name into one of the lines, like:

#48 = ADVANCED_FACE('',(#49),#63,.F.);  -> #48 = ADVANCED_FACE('side1',(#49),#63,.F.);

A re-import of the modified STEP file then shows the 'side1' as face name. So the export process must somehow be wrong or faulty. Can anyone give me a piece of advice howto preserve the face names during a STEP export in SALOME?

Regards,

Simon 

• Re: export to STEP format and retaining face names

When exploding 'Compound_1.step' the names seems to be associated to shells and not faces. Also, there is no entry in the lines beginning with ADVANCED_FACE in the file, which my other application seems to use on import for face name recognition .

Can the names in an assembly be associated to faces rather than shells and will this maybe trigger SALOME to export the names in the ADVANCED_FACE lines in the STEP file?

Simon

Posted by Saint Michael at March 20. 2013

Hi Simon

Your observation is true, SALOME does not export shape names to STEP (nor any other) files.

The only thing you can do is to try to use OCCT which is the geometrical engine of SALOME. Using it, you can give names to sub-shapes of a compound shape and export the compound to a STEP file. If this way fits your need, I can explain how to do it.

St.Michael

Previously Saint Michael wrote:

Hi Simon

Your observation is true, SALOME does not export shape names to STEP (nor any other) files.

The only thing you can do is to try to use OCCT which is the geometrical engine of SALOME. Using it, you can give names to sub-shapes of a compound shape and export the compound to a STEP file. If this way fits your need, I can explain how to do it.

St.Michael

Hi,

I am not sure about the actual difference when using a group or a compound. But in the end I would like a volume with unique face names in the STEP format. If that is possible using the compound approach I would appreciate it if you could show how to do this.

Simon

The compound with named sub-shapes is exported as an assembly with named components. So I'm afraid you can't get what you need using OCCT neither.

St.Michael

At this point I am not sure if an assemply would work in my case. Could you demonstrate how it is done?

Thanks,

Simon

Here is a sample file where all faces of a box have names. Check if it fits your need.

St.Michael

Attachments

Posted by Saint Michael at March 21. 2013

I see no cleaver solution for you. A stupid one is: edit your step file and enter names manually.

St.Michael