Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum How to use Salome? hybrid mesh with 1-d, 2-d and 3-d elements

hybrid mesh with 1-d, 2-d and 3-d elements

Up to How to use Salome?
  • hybrid mesh with 1-d, 2-d and 3-d elements

Posted by Manav Bhatia at March 31. 2008
    Hi, My application needs a mesh that contains all of 1-d, 2-d and 3-d elements at different locations in the mesh. For example, consider a box, where the sides are made of 3-d hex elements, with 2-d quad elements covering the outer surface of the box. Hence, the quads and the outer surface of hex elements will share the same nodes. Similarly, the 12 edges of the box will have 1-D elements along them. Thus, these 1-D elements will share the nodes with the hex elements. Reading the documentation of the med module, it seems that for a 3-D mesh, only 3-d and 2-d elements will be allowed in the mesh. Please correct me if this is wrong. I would appreciate any comments on whether this would be possible or not. Regards, Manav
    • Re: hybrid mesh with 1-d, 2-d and 3-d elements

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at April 01. 2008
      Hi

That's the default behaviour of SMESH: it discretizes the edges with 1D elements, then the faces with 2D elements based on the previously created 1D elements and then the 3D elements based on the 2D elements.

Here is a picture describing the mesh elements of a 4x4x4 box:
      http://pix.nofrag.com/c/a/2/7e3c1f3479633082e8f7109ea3e55.html

Christophe