Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Mixed packages from Salome and Python

Mixed packages from Salome and Python

Up to Extension of the platform

Mixed packages from Salome and Python

Posted by A.F. Rabarison at May 29. 2010

Hi all,

I am a new user of Salome but I am familiar with Python. There are a lot of new packages I found while using Salome (Geompy, Smesh...) but they are not recognized by PythonShell (IDLE). Similarly, packages installed in Python (example geopy...) are not recognized in Salome. Hence, I was wondering if there is a possibility for Salome and/or Python to recognize the other's installed packages, if so I'd be very pleased to know.

Kind regards

Re: Mixed packages from Salome and Python

Posted by ppeetteerr at June 01. 2010

The Salome install also install its own python distribution. So to install a package in Salome you will have to source the environment and then install the desired package. easy_install is probably the easiest way

Re: Mixed packages from Salome and Python

Posted by JMB at August 14. 2010

Previously pete Halverson wrote:

The Salome install also install its own python distribution. So to install a package in Salome you will have to source the environment and then install the desired package. easy_install is probably the easiest way

Hello Pete,

Could you explain what you mean by source the environment to a middle level person like me.  I know the term source ( or .) and environment variables, but which Salome - centric environment variables need to be appended to make easy_install install them such that Salome can find them?

I installed easy_install in Ubuntu using:

sudo aptitude install python-setuptools

then I used:

sudo easy_install geopy

as an example and I am able to "import geopy" within idle, but my question is how I make Salome python console recognize 'import geopy'?  I know one can set "export PYTHONPATH=/home/username/bin" for example to allow import of user written modules that reside in /home/username/bin before starting idle.  Would it be the same for Salome?  Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

JMB