Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Re: Cfdmsh, a Python library for hybrid meshing with Salome is available

Re: Cfdmsh, a Python library for hybrid meshing with Salome is available

Up to Extension of the platform

Posted by William Tougeron at November 29. 2012

Hello everybody,

As a CFD engineer using frequently Salome, I developed some Python functions to accelerate 2D hybrid meshing like shown in enclosed picture.

This kind of mesh becomes very easy to generate with my script.

Besides, the script provides some other functions dealing with:

- the copy of geometrical groups from one object to another,
> - the copy of mesh configurations (copy of all parameters of the mesh and subshapes from a mesh to another),<br> - the export of meshes in AMSH format compatible with Edge (http://www.foi.se/edge).

The 2D shapes created thanks to this script can be used also for 3D meshing, since they can be extruded or filled. I am now meshing a 3D fan domain thanks to it.

The script is now available from this page:

http://www.vzlu.cz/en/results-transfer/software-r/free-software-download#navigace_bottom

Its name is Cfdmsh. It is the last one of the table (for the moment).

All the installation process is given in the user manual (you just have to copy a file in a folder), or in the HTML documentation (included into the ZIP file) in which there are in addition detailed tutorials about CFD meshing in 2D and 3D, as well as Python scripting in Salome.

If you find some problems using it, please contact me. I am neither a programmer nor a Salome developer. I am just a Salome user. So I can make mistakes.

But I hope it will help many people which frequently deal with 2D/3D CFD meshing like me. Personally, it helps me a lot!

Best regards,

William

Attachments

Posted by William Tougeron at July 02. 2013

Hi all,

The new version of cfdmsh is now available: cfdmsh 2.2

Downloadable from this page (look for "Cfdmsh 2.2"):

http://www.vzlu.cz/en/results-transfer/software-r/free-software-download

Cfdmsh 2.2 is, among other things:

- 13 new functions of which 5 are 3D funtions.

- Improved group management: fixed bugs, possibility to choose which groups to copy/export/import, accelerated copy of groups between huge geometries.

- Increased ergonomics: shortened argument names, possibility to call functions using their acronym.

- Redesigned HTML documentation with new tutorials and more explanation about the installation and use of the cfdmsh script.

Please, look at the enclosed screenshot to see on what kind of geometry it can be used to create viscous layer blocking in few steps.

Best regards,

William

Attachments

Posted by Ricardo at July 02. 2013

Hi William,

Nice job! It seems very interesting. I'm definetly giving it a try.

By the way, the post-processing picture at the end of tutorial3 is awesome. May I ask how you did that?

Regards,

Ricardo.

Posted by William Tougeron at July 02. 2013

Well, I used Paraview. :) (ParaVis should give the same results)

I computed the solution under Edge and imported the data from EngSight format.

Then, when you import data in Paraview/ParaVis, you can use the Extract Block filter to isolate only the wing or the symmetry (or anything else), so as to display them with different settings.

Then the transparency of the field plot can be setup clicking on the Edit Color Map icon (the horizontal rainbow legend with the green disk up to it), then displaying the advanced properties (by clicking on the gearwheel icon) and checking Enable Opacity Function.

Add a cut (Slice icon) and some streamlines (Stream Tracer icon), and you have it! :)

Very simple to do :)

Happy you are interested into cfdmsh. Don't hesitate to give some feedback. :)

Best regards,

William

Posted by Ricardo at July 03. 2013

Hi William,

I'm not able to find that opacity option you mention. I can't find that gearwhell icon. Where is it?

Thanks.

Regards,

Ricardo

Posted by William Tougeron at July 04. 2013

Hi Ricardo, :)

I enclose a tutorial. I used Salome 7.2.0.

Best regards,

William

Attachments

Posted by Ricardo at July 08. 2013

Hi William,

After doing your tutorials, I'm trying to mesh my own geometry. I'm facing a problem when trying to close the boundary layer: the closing gets rotated, so it's in a perpendicular plane.

I can fix it by rotating the curve around the wire.

I think it's related to the wire at the end of the boundary layer been straight.

Regards,

Ricardo

Posted by William Tougeron at July 08. 2013

Hello

Yes, the direction of the closure is by default the OXY plane. The viscous layer end is always straight, so the CloseViscousLayer function cannot see the viscous layer direction. So you can use the plane or the face argument to define the closure direction. See the documentation to have illustrations and script examples.

Best regards,

William

Posted by Ricardo at July 09. 2013
Hi William,

Thanks for your help. I'm meshing a wing with a kink and it works like a charm.

Regards,

Ricardo

Posted by benoit paillard at February 10. 2014

Hi William,

I just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great tool !

Ben

Posted by William Tougeron at February 10. 2014

Hello Benoit,

Thank you very much! :)

Next version is in process. I hope I will find time to clean it and publish it.

Best regards :)

William

Posted by taxalian at February 28. 2014

Hi William,

As being new user of Salome. This is exactly i would like to ask in the salome community to have a kind of hybrid meshing approach. Is this tool Cfdmsh generic one, can be used with openfoam and how to incorporate this in existing Salome V7.3.0.

Thanks and regards,

Taxalian

Posted by William Tougeron at February 28. 2014

Hello,

Cfdmsh 2.2 is fully compatible with Salome 7.3.0. Everything is explained in the documentation.

To export hybrid volume meshes in OpenFOAM, you can use the script of Nicolas: http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_12/23863165#686106236

This script allows to export pyramids, which are not supported by the UNV format but are present in 3D hybrid meshes.

Best regards,

William

Posted by taxalian at February 28. 2014

Hi William,

That sounds great i will give it a try and let you know about that. I am trying to mesh an Ahmed body in Salome.

Regards,

Taxlian