Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Different export file formats - HDF5

Different export file formats - HDF5

Up to Extension of the platform

Different export file formats - HDF5

Posted by Andrew Parker at February 06. 2010

Hi,

I'd like to be able to do one of two things.  I have written out my geometry and mesh in *.unv format.  I would like to see if anybody can email the file format for this in English.  Or, ideally I would to suggest for the future, or is it planned, that additional more open file formats be provided for export, ideally HDF5.  And on that point, does anybody have any scripts that can be loaded that will convert /write out an HDF5 file from inside Salome?

So basically, HDF5, can we have it as an input and output format?  Or, does any body have any scripts that can do this instead? If no to these two can anybody provide me with the file format for the unv file format so I can write my own reader?  I'm happy to substitute HDF5 for any other more open format my only requirement would be that it maintains the complex group information that I've spent ages defining in Salome both for the geometry and the mesh - the grouping is essential for me for boundary condition specification further down the line, and I'd need to keep that.  So if that can be done but not in HDF5 and we can have that more open format as an export and import option that would be great - has to be open though because the first thing I need to do is then write a reader, or at least link to library that can read that is format which is LGPL.

Many thanks

Andy

Re: Different export file formats - HDF5

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at February 08. 2010

Hi,

Well, MED actually is a HDF5 format. You can browse a MED file with hdfview to see its HDF5 structure.

The meshes are under "ENS_MAA".

The fields are under "CHA".

Christophe

Posted by Andrew Parker at February 08. 2010

Hi,

So I got that working myself over the weekend after my post.  The part that got me was the naming.  I'm assuming not English??  Any chance of that changing?  Or could you give me a complete run down of the short name against what's actually in the file?? i.e. CHA = field variables....  I'd really appreciate that, I couldn't quite figure it out, and I'd like to use it.

Is this full HDF5 compatible??  i.e.  Can I take any library that operates on HDF5 and just use it as is without the need to change anything, apart from the file name?

Finally, and importantly, are all the groups etc. written to that file?

Thanks for the info,

Andy

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at February 09. 2010

Hi,

You're right, the descriptors are short names for french words. You can find all the short names in the file include/med_outils.h

I don't know if there is a documentation to directly use the hdf api to read/write med files. But there is an english documentation to use the med api (posted on this forum a few months ago). And the med format answers your needs since its an open format, using the LGPL license. It's a higher level api to write hdf files containing meshes and fields, using fortran, c or python code.

All the groups are written to that file, you can check it by exporting and importing a med file in SMESH.

Christophe

Posted by Andrew Parker at February 09. 2010

Many thanks for that.  I'll search for the med document

Andy