Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Which viewer choose: OCC or VTK

Which viewer choose: OCC or VTK

Up to Extension of the platform

Which viewer choose: OCC or VTK

Posted by eXav at March 16. 2010

Hi,

We develop new salome module for our meshing methods.

Viewer for module should visualize 2D geometry and relevant mesh.

The point is which viewer choose: OCC, VTK or create OCC 2D Viewer,

Someone has some experience in similar problems?

And what are the reasons, that on default GEOM module work with OCCViewer, but SMESH module work with VTK viewer.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of OCC and VTK Viewers...

Thank for attention...

Re: Which viewer choose: OCC or VTK

Posted by pierre_j at March 16. 2010

Dear eXav,

To add a meshing algorithm in SMESH is already possible and may be less painful than constructing a Salome module from scratch.

This plugin mechanism available in SMESH is introduced in this page: http://www.salome-platform.org/about/mesh

However, I have to tell you that I don't know more about it, and would also be pleased to be given some pointer to some more detailed documentaiton.

To come back to your question, the VTK library is designed to handle meshes, while the OCC library is designed to handle BREP data. Each of these library offers specific functions to handle these types of data that the other library doesn't offer.

Actually, VTK doesn't provide any support for CAD.

OCC does provide some functionality for meshes, but really poor compared to VTK.

I am not part of Salome developper team but I can understand their choice to consider the most appropriate solution for specific needs.

Best regards,

Pierre