Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform MED plugin for Paraview?

MED plugin for Paraview?

Up to Extension of the platform

MED plugin for Paraview?

Posted by claus andersen at June 15. 2011

Now that .med files can be opened within Salomé's Paraview module, has the MED reader been released for Paraview stand-alone, or are there any plans to? I use Salomé for a variety of things, but sometimes it would be nice just to launch Paraview stand-alone and be able to load .med files.

Great job on the 6.3.0 release!

Regards,

Claus

Re: MED plugin for Paraview?

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 15. 2011

Hello Claus,

From the universal binaries, if you run Paraview from a Salome bash session, you will have access to the MED reader plugin.

To have a Salome bash session (ie prerequisites PATHs set) you must run runSession from the virtual application directory.

To have a virtual application, there is a script to create it: createAppli.sh. Once done, just go to the appli directory and run: ./runSession paraview.

If you have another package of Salome (Install Wizard), just sourcing the prerequisite file should be enough to have the good paths. The just run paraview.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by claus andersen at June 22. 2011

It seems to be working fine when launched that way. Thank you!

Regards,

Claus

Posted by fred renou at August 30. 2011

I just try the paraview modul it seems great. However it seems the the support of med file does not completely

I can only display node field (no ELNO or ELGA field)

And I did not manage to display a field with the volume option

Am I the only one to having this kind of difficulty?

I am using 6.3.1 

By the way did you plan to add med support to the main branch of paraview ?

regard

Posted by fred renou at August 31. 2011

note: to display a field with volume option you should only import volumique element

Posted by Florent Cayré at October 31. 2011

Hello,

I would really like using a standard paraview distribution to analyze my computation results.

However, I am enable to find the sources of the med reader plugin, isn't it open source?

Is it the only modification to the standard paraview 3.10.1 revision?

Cheers.

Posted by claus andersen at November 01. 2011

I'd also love for a MED plugin to work with a standard paraview release. The way previously described in this thread does not work any more on my installation. (Salome's) paraview simply stalls at start-up at 100% cpu.

Posted by DAVID Gilles at November 02. 2011

Previously fred renou wrote:

I just try the paraview modul it seems great. However it seems the the support of med file does not completely

I can only display node field (no ELNO or ELGA field)

And I did not manage to display a field with the volume option

Am I the only one to having this kind of difficulty?

I am using 6.3.1 

By the way did you plan to add med support to the main branch of paraview ?

regard

Hello Fred,

Sorry for the late answer. To display a field liek ELNO or ELGA, you should add a filter of type "Integration Points" after having imported the med file. The ELNO/ELGA fields will then be available to be displayed.

AFAIK, MED support is not planned to be added to the main branch of paraview, since it is a plugin delivered with the Salome module PARAVIS.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by DAVID Gilles at November 02. 2011

Previously Florent Cayré wrote:

Hello,

I would really like using a standard paraview distribution to analyze my computation results.

However, I am enable to find the sources of the med reader plugin, isn't it open source?

Is it the only modification to the standard paraview 3.10.1 revision?

Cheers.

The sources of MEDReader can be found into[PARAVIS_SRC]/src/Plugins/MedReader.

If you want to use the plugin in a standard install of paraview, you need:

- Paraview V3.10

- To have the following libraries accessible in a directory defined by PV_PLUGIN_PATH:
 * [PARAVIS_INSTALL_DIR]/lib/paraview/libMedReaderPlugin.so
 * [PARAVIS_INSTALL_DIR]/lib/paraview/libParaMEDCorbaPlugin.so
 * [PARAVIS_INSTALL_DIR]/lib/paraview/libELNOFilter.so

- To have the MED libraries (V3) accessible in a directory defined by LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The libraries can be copied from an install of Salome 6.3.1:

For Paraview plugin libs : PARAVIS_INSTALL_DIR = [SALOME_DIR]/SALOME6/V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/
For MED the libs are in : [SALOME_DIR]/SALOME6/tools/Med-303hdf5184/lib

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Gilles Vogt at May 22. 2012

Hello,

I would like to use a standard install of paraview too, notably because the implementation within Salome appears to be unstable on my install, but also to keep it up to date.

If I try and add the MED readers libraries (*so) in paraview 3.14 (manage plugin), it complains about the version number (what I do understand). Is there a way to adapt these libraries ?

Anyway, I don't understand where the "PV_PLUGIN_PATH" is defined (previous message)? Should I compile the reader again ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Posted by Gilles Vogt at June 13. 2012

I would still be grateful for any help !

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 13. 2012

Hello,

Please wait for the release of Salome 6.5.0 (very soon) which is based on Paraview 3.14.

The MEDReader libraries in the previous releases of Salome are not compatible with paraview 3.14.

If you add the plugin libraries in paraview using the "Manage plugin" dialog, there is no need to worry about the environnement variable PV_PLUGIN_PATH. It is only requested if you want the libraries to be available at startup of paraview. In the later case, you should have this variable to point to the directory of the plugin libraries (in a shell script, this done by the command export PV_PLUGIN_PATH=$PV_PLUGIN_PATH:/path/to/the/plugin/libraries).

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by ppeetteerr at June 22. 2012

I tried runSession paraview with the universal binaries under 6.5 but the med plugin didn't load. I also tried adding the paths to the libraries:

PV_PLUGIN_PATH=$PV_PLUGIN_PATH:/opt/salome/Salome-V6_5_0p1-LGPL-x86_64/modules/PARAVIS_V6_5_0p1/lib/paraview

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/salome/Salome-V6_5_0p1-LGPL-x86_64/tools/Medfichier_305/lib

but didn't have any luck. Any other suggestions?

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Hello Claus,

From the universal binaries, if you run Paraview from a Salome bash session, you will have access to the MED reader plugin.

To have a Salome bash session (ie prerequisites PATHs set) you must run runSession from the virtual application directory.

To have a virtual application, there is a script to create it: createAppli.sh. Once done, just go to the appli directory and run: ./runSession paraview.

If you have another package of Salome (Install Wizard), just sourcing the prerequisite file should be enough to have the good paths. The just run paraview.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 22. 2012

Hello,

When paraview is launched from runSession, in the Plugin manager, click on "Load New..." and select the MEDReader library:

/opt/salome/Salome-V6_5_0p1-LGPL-x86_64/modules/PARAVIS_V6_5_0p1/lib/paraview/libMedReaderPlugin.so

The plugin shold load fine.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Frédéric Pons at July 12. 2012

It seems that ParaView 3.14 only accepts semi-colon (;) and not colon(:) in the PV_PLUGIN_PATH.

I don't know if it is a bug from ParaView but a fix has been integrated in SALOME 6.5 to avoid the issue.

If you want to use the ParaView in SALOME you need to replace the ":" in the PV_PLUGIN_PATH with ";"

Regards,

Frédéric

Previously ppeetteerr wrote:

I tried runSession paraview with the universal binaries under 6.5 but the med plugin didn't load. I also tried adding the paths to the libraries:

PV_PLUGIN_PATH=$PV_PLUGIN_PATH:/opt/salome/Salome-V6_5_0p1-LGPL-x86_64/modules/PARAVIS_V6_5_0p1/lib/paraview

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/salome/Salome-V6_5_0p1-LGPL-x86_64/tools/Medfichier_305/lib

but didn't have any luck. Any other suggestions?

Posted by pod at August 02. 2012

Hi,

just to mention that I have compiled ParaView 3.14.1 from sources and included the latest version of these plugins from version 6.5.0 and it works very well. You can "bundle" these plugins in your ParaView distribution with cmake if you use option :

PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS=/xxx/src6.5.0/PARAVIS_SRC_6.5.0/src/Plugins/IntegrationPoints;/xxx/src6.5.0/PARAVIS_SRC_6.5.0/src/Plugins/MedReader

I did that under Mac OS X and it worked. However, I had to recompile med with gfortran instead of intel fortran because of some dynamic libs issues that I could not figure out ... Med was re-compiled with option --shared.

regards,

PO

Posted by claus andersen at January 03. 2014

Could you write a small step-by-step guide for compiling ParaView with MED support? :)

Regards

Previously pod wrote:

Hi,

just to mention that I have compiled ParaView 3.14.1 from sources and included the latest version of these plugins from version 6.5.0 and it works very well. You can "bundle" these plugins in your ParaView distribution with cmake if you use option :

PARAVIEW_EXTERNAL_PLUGIN_DIRS=/xxx/src6.5.0/PARAVIS_SRC_6.5.0/src/Plugins/IntegrationPoints;/xxx/src6.5.0/PARAVIS_SRC_6.5.0/src/Plugins/MedReader

I did that under Mac OS X and it worked. However, I had to recompile med with gfortran instead of intel fortran because of some dynamic libs issues that I could not figure out ... Med was re-compiled with option --shared.

regards,

PO

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at January 09. 2014