Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Unacceptable! Salome_6.3.1 cannot read mail/mgib files

Unacceptable! Salome_6.3.1 cannot read mail/mgib files

Up to Extension of the platform

Unacceptable! Salome_6.3.1 cannot read mail/mgib files

Posted by JMB at September 13. 2011

Hello developers,

CodeAster stores mesh data in mail/mgib format for most (if not all) of its test cases/examples in the directory .../aster/STAxx/astest/".

What will it take to convince you to incorporate reading a *.mail or *.mgib file directly into Salome?  Salome is expected to work with CodeAster is it NOT?  Should you not be considering how to make this easier?  Is it really the dream of the Salome developers to always have the user run the translator via a solver's interface (namely ASTK)?!  Why is there such a reluctance to incorporate or even reply to forum user suggestions?

By the way, this is not the first time I am bringing this glaring deficiency to light.  My frustration arises from some obvious enhancements being completely ignored.  Yes, yes I know it is open source, and I should change it if I want to, blah, blah, blah...  I would, if I knew how, or if I had control over the developers who could.   Unfortunately I have neither and am writing this message with the intent to increasing awareness, in the hope that someone will see the light and bring sufficient momentum to effect change.

JMB

Re: Unacceptable! Salome_6.3.1 cannot read mail/mgib files

Posted by DAVID Gilles at September 13. 2011

Hello JMB,

First let me inform that I am not a user of Code_Aster, so my point of view can be biased.

What I know is that MED is the main format supported by Salome, which includes the import/export from/to finite elements solvers, including Code_Aster.

I have no idea about the future of the mail/mgib format in Code_Aster and Salome. Maybe a reader is planned but I never heard about it.

I know that you are very active in this forum and I'm sorry for the lacks of answers that you sometimes encounter. I can't speak about the whole OpenCascade team, but in my case, I usually don't answer to questions to which I don't have the answer ...

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by JMB at September 13. 2011

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

I usually don't answer to questions to which I don't have the answer ...Gilles

Hello Gilles DAVID,

Thank you very much for your response and information!  I have no problem whatsoever with anybody not replying when they do not know what to answer.  I do (and would) the same.

To other Salome Developers / Team Manager:

I am just asking that someone in the CodeAster development team be assigned to review some long standing user reported bugs/enhancements/fixes to be acknowledged and appropriate action/disposition be taken.  What a real bug tracker enabled website should be.  Take for example the 3rd party website: http://opensalome.org/projects/opensalome/issues.  If Salome developers do not want to create one, AT LEAST use what somebody else (namely Christophe BOURCIER) has taken the trouble to put together!  One would hope the politics and territorial issues can be set aside in order to benefit the whole Salome community...

PS: My main question and comments of the 1st posting are addressed to anybody else who cares to act upon them.

Regards, JMB

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at September 14. 2011

Hello JMB,

Well, Salome does read mgib files. But only in the Windows version. Select Import> SAUV files.This feature was added by Erwan ADAM when he built the windows version.

Regarding .mail files support, you may have more answers on the Salome-Meca forum. But I don't know if there is a versioning of the file format specifications in case they change (like med2, med3, or pos1 pos2 for gmsh).

Christophe

Posted by Gordon Gekko at September 15. 2011

Hi JMB,

You are right. The whole database of Code_Aster tests cases is a very rich and valuable bunch of data. Also the meshes related to the tests cases. I agree with you that using Astk is an awkward way to display these meshes in Salomé, compared to the ability of direct display.

Well, on my opinion the problem could be considered on a different point of view. One always should be reluctant to add more and more translators for all the combinatorial possibilities. A better request we could ask to the Code_Aster team would be to produce tests-cases with native MED meshes instead of those peculiar formats (mail : propietary ; mgib : odd and superseded). What do you think about it ?

Let us fantasize a little more. What about the ability of browsing the Code_Aster tests cases database directly from Salomé-Méca and - with one click - displaying the test case as a study (Mesh and command file) in the current session ?

Best regards,

Gordon

Posted by Richard S. at September 15. 2011

Hello,

if you're using the test cases frequently, why don't you just write a little python script which automatically converts all the *.mail files of your astest folder? Programming this would cost you just a few minutes.

Regards,

Richard

Posted by JMB at September 15. 2011

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Well, Salome does read mgib files. But only in the Windows version. Select Import> SAUV files.This feature was added by Erwan ADAM when he built the windows version.  Regarding .mail files support, you may have more answers on the Salome-Meca forum. But I don't know if there is a versioning of the file format specifications in case they change (like med2, med3, or pos1 pos2 for gmsh).

Hello Christophe,

Thank you for the suggestion, but I do not use windows as infrequently as possible.  I will try to bring the topic to light in the Salome-Meca forum too.  I do not think versioning for *.mail is an issue, because I think is an old and therefore a static (i.e. unchanging) standard.

Regards, JMB

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Well, Salome does read mgib files. But only in the Windows version. Select Import> SAUV files.This feature was added by Erwan ADAM when he built the windows version.

Hello again,

Would it be possible to convince Erwan ADAM to contribute his code to the Salome main stream code for subsequent releases say Salome_6.4+.  Secondly will it be possible to convince the Salome development team to incorporate it into their releases?  Perhaps the latter is the bigger hurdle!

Regards, JMB

Previously Gordon Gekko wrote:

Well, on my opinion the problem could be considered on a different point of view. One always should be reluctant to add more and more translators for all the combinatorial possibilities. A better request we could ask to the Code_Aster team would be to produce tests-cases with native MED meshes instead of those peculiar formats (mail : propietary ; mgib : odd and superseded). What do you think about it ?

Let us fantasize a little more. What about the ability of browsing the Code_Aster tests cases database directly from Salomé-Méca and - with one click - displaying the test case as a study (Mesh and command file) in the current session ?

Hello Gordon Gekko,

Thank you for your suggestion.  However I dis-agree with your point of view to ask the CodeAster team to change to native MED meshes.  There is a strong reason for not doing so.  Med uses a binary storage method (I do not think ASCII is an option) whereas *.mail is plain text ASCII.  Test cases are usually simple meshes.  So the ability to read plain text mesh files is a very important reason to NOT convert them to *.med files.

Your latter suggestion of the ability of browsing CodeAster test cases in Salome-Meca (or even plain Salome) is a splendid idea!

Regards, JMB

Previously Richard S. wrote:

if you're using the test cases frequently, why don't you just write a little python script which automatically converts all the *.mail files of your astest folder? Programming this would cost you just a few minutes.

Hello Richard S.,

Good idea!  Are you willing to contribute such code and perhaps convince the CodeAster team to incorporate it into the CodeAster install script to run automatically (with a provision to disable it by say a command line flag)?  Otherwise it becomes a separate step to remember to run after every new install of a CodeAster version.

However, I still maintain that test cases (small meshes) should continue to remain in plain text (ASCII) readable format, whether it remains *.mail, *.mgib,  abaqus *.inp (Gasp! the blasphemy!) or any other, I do not care...

Regards, JMB

Previously JMB wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I do not use windows as infrequently as possible.

Correction: but I use windows as infrequently as possible.

Previously JMB wrote:

>Good idea!  Are you willing to contribute such code and perhaps convince the CodeAster team to incorporate it into >the CodeAster install script to run automatically (with a provision to disable it by say a command line flag)?  Otherwise it becomes a >separate step to remember to run after every new install of a CodeAster version.

Hello JMB,

this is just a python script, which detects all the *.mail files in your specified astest directory, runs the export-file (which you have to create by yourself) for each mesh and copies the *.med-files to your current working directory.

I hope this works for you, it`s not really tested. Please let me know if you have problems.

Regards, Richard

Attachments

Sorry I made a mistake in my explanation.

The *.med file are copied to the astest directory.

Regards,

Richard