Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Enhancement request: Arc/Cirle given 2 pts and a radius

Enhancement request: Arc/Cirle given 2 pts and a radius

Up to Extension of the platform

Enhancement request: Arc/Cirle given 2 pts and a radius

Posted by JMB at November 11. 2010

Hello,

I wish Salome would have a GUI / TUI feature to draw an arc (and circle) given 2 vertices and a radius. The first chosen point (vertex) can be the deciding factor for which one of the two possibilities to draw.  Such a feature has been sorely missing for a long time.  Hopefully it can be incorporated soon, maybe even into 5.1.5?  Unless I have missed finding it.  Thanks.

Regards, JMB

Re: Enhancement request: Arc/Cirle given 2 pts and a radius

Posted by DAVID Gilles at November 11. 2010

Hello JMB,

Your wish will become true ... but not in 5.1.5, sorry.

This feature will be in the next public version after 5.1.5, which should be the 6.3.0 (release planned in April 2011).

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by JMB at November 11. 2010

Hello Gilles DAVID,

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to the feature.  It would be nice if the team would post a page on this website a 'Roadmap" stating possible improvements contemplated for future releases.  Many projects do that, including OSS ones... :)

Regards, JMB.

Posted by JMB at August 08. 2011

Hello developers,

Just started testing Salome 6.3.1. and this simple 2D drawing functionality is still ABSENT in version 6 of this software!

Just DISAPPOINTING....

Regards, JMB

Posted by Renaud Nédélec at August 08. 2011

Hello JMB,

Indeed this functionality is available in Salome 6.3.1 via the 2D Sketcher.

You'll have to choose "Arc" constructed by "Point" and "Additional Parameter" =  Radius. You can then enter the coordinates of the end point or select it in the view (using "selection" mode).

The functionality could be integrated to the "Arc Construction" dialog box for Salome 6.4.0 if needed.

Regards, Renaud

Posted by Renaud Nédélec at August 08. 2011

Hello again,

After reflexion it seems difficult to me to integrate this functionality outside from the 2D Sketcher. Indeed a circle can be drawn from two points and a radius only in a plane.

So to perform the operation a plane has to be given by the user, which is easy in  the 2D sketcher. Consequently the Sketcher seems to be the better place for this functionality. 

Regards,

Renaud

Posted by JMB at August 09. 2011

Previously Renaud Nédélec wrote:

After reflexion it seems difficult to me to integrate this functionality outside from the 2D Sketcher. Indeed a circle can be drawn from two points and a radius only in a plane.  So to perform the operation a plane has to be given by the user, which is easy in  the 2D sketcher. Consequently the Sketcher seems to be the better place for this functionality.

Hello Renaud Nédélec,

Thank you for the information and the reasoning behind placing the Arc: 2Pts+Radius in the 2D Sketcher.  I agree with the reasoning and welcome and thank you and the team for the additional capabilities!

Is this capability listed in either 6.3.0 or 6.3.1 Release Notes PDF files?  In my quick examination of the two I did not see it.  Anyway I am glad the function is there and you have pointed me to the right place.

Regards, JMB

Posted by Andrea Palazzi at August 10. 2011

Hello again,

After reflexion it seems difficult to me to integrate this functionality outside from the 2D Sketcher. Indeed a circle can be drawn from two points and a radius only in a plane.

So to perform the operation a plane has to be given by the user, which is easy in  the 2D sketcher. Consequently the Sketcher seems to be the better place for this functionality. 

Regards,

Renaud

Regarding the sketcher, I noted some time ago that if I create e.g. a wire with the sketcher, then extract an edge, then dump the study, change something in the sketch definition, then reload, it happens that the order of the extracted edges changes, and subsequent operations may fail. I think this also applies to other generation routines, like extrusion.

Would it be possible to make deterministic the order of subshapes? This is absolutely necessary to use the notebook for variables, or even sketches in python scripting, when you want to change the geometry simply by changing some variable.

bye

Andrea

Posted by JMB at August 30. 2012

Hello developers,

Looks like this SIMPLE functionality has not become reality in SIX successive versions of this software, nor after nearly 2 YEARS since I suggested it!  Such a disappointment...

JMB

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Your wish will become true ... but not in 5.1.5, sorry.

This feature will be in the next public version after 5.1.5, which should be the 6.3.0 (release planned in April 2011).

Posted by Renaud Nédélec at August 31. 2012

Hello JMB,

As explained before the requested enhancement was integrated in version 6.3.0 of SALOME 16 month ago via the Sketcher functionality.

As far as I understand by reading another post from you, you are unhappy with this because of the string format used in the Sketcher command language . An improvement of the TUI commands to control the Sketcher in order to have a simpler access to it is in progress and it will hopefully be integrated in the next SALOME version in the beginning of December. I hope it will make the Sketcher more usable for you.

Regards,

Renaud

Posted by JMB at September 06. 2012

Hello Renaud,

Yes, you are correct that I am unhappy because of the string format used by the Sketcher.  Thank you for the reporting the planned enhancement!  Hopefully, the enhancement of the Sketcher will eliminate the string based implementation.  I welcome & eagerly await this enhancement to the Sketcher functionality using basic python functions, so that geometry creation using TUI scripting can become easier.

I believe that any FOSS software that offers a GUI -> Script -> Parametric TUI work-flow is a powerful capability and can counterbalance some of the better features found in expensive commercial software.  I very much appreciate your pro-active feedback.  It is a refreshing approach to responding to the user community.  Thank you again!

Regards,

JMB

Hello JMB,
As far as I understand by reading another post from you, you are unhappy with this because of the string format used in the Sketcher command language . An improvement of the TUI commands to control the Sketcher in order to have a simpler access to it is in progress and it will hopefully be integrated in the next SALOME version in the beginning of December. I hope it will make the Sketcher more usable for you.
Regards,
Renaud