Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Extension of the platform Windows Port: A call for help

Windows Port: A call for help

Up to Extension of the platform
  • Windows Port: A call for help

Posted by Peter Dolbey at December 19. 2007

Contributors to the Open Cascade forum, led by Fotis Sioutis and helped by me, have ported a number of core classes from the GEOM module to win32. These have been separately compiled with both Borland and MS compilers, but not yet unified. Fotis has also ported SMESH classes as well.

We know, from various sources but especially the Salome C++ code itself, that a win32 port of Salome has been developed. We are not asking it for it to be released. However a key component appears to be a header file "SALOME_WNT.hxx". At the moment we can only guess what its contents contain, but we find that it is necessary to "fork" the original Salome code to get it to compile, which does not help if we need to take future updates.

Is it possible to release a copy of this header file to help 3rd party porting projects. Salome is an LGPL project and I understand we are free (as in speech) to carry out this type of activity - however a potentially key element is being withheld!.

I can be contacted on peter(at)dolbey(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk if anyone can help.

Pete

• Re: Windows Port: A call for help

Posted by Mario at February 10. 2009
      Hi,
      now looks like Salome 4.1.4 is Windows compatible.
      Are you still interested in compiling it?

Mario

Posted by Peter Dolbey at February 11. 2009

Subsets of GEOM and SMESH have already been updated to 4.1.4 source code in the SVNs on sourceforge. However until SALOME releases the Win32 project files to the community - and migrate to Qt4 - it would be a long drawn-out process to migrate all the SALOME code to win32. And it would be dissappointing is SALOME release the build files after spending time on it.

What is the functionality that your after?

Pete

Posted by Erwan ADAM at February 12. 2009

Hi Peter, Mario and everybody,

Some notes about the windows version ...

We have already build a win32 version of salome ... that why you see some #ifdef WNT in c++ source code. The work has been done using visual studio 2005 and the projects have been constructed at hand adding the necessary files once by once. But, this is not an every day job (as it should) and each time there are new integrations in salome, the windows compilation is not guaranteed by an automatic checker ...

I'm currently working on a way to have unified sources for unix and windows. This work is based on an extensive used of cmake. This tool is a kind of 'configure' but can generate Makefile on unix or visual project on windows. So, I've written a parser to convert Makefile.am files (used by automake) to CMakeLists.txt files and the result can be compiled both on unix and windows ... It already works for Salome 5 serie for KERNEL, GUI, GEOM, MED, SMESH, NETGENPLUGIN.

Currently, I adapt the parser to Salome 4 serie and I think the work will be finished soon for the same modules. The problem is this windows version is completely unofficial and will be not extensively tested like the unix ones (we already have enough job with unix versions and, I know it is difficult to believe but it is true, we have no windows user !). So we are afraid this version to be broken everywhere. Thus, I'm currently in discussion with the developpement team to see how to distribute this version ! I will give some news on that as soon as possible but cannot promise before end of March ...

Best regards,

E.A.

Posted by Peter Dolbey at February 13. 2009

Erwan,

I think your missing a trick here. There is an open source community available to help you in porting Salome to Win32. Fotis and I for instance has gone a long way with the salomegeometry and salomesmesh projects on sourceforge to prove the feasibility of Salome on Win32 (Fotis having done much of the work, though). We've built working apps using Watcom for the fortran in Mefisto2d, Qt4 (qtsmesh on my qtocc sourceforge site) and Borland compilers. You don't have to work alone!.

If you're following the trends you'll see a rise in the number of open source CAx projects around - HeeksCAD/CNS cam-occ and so on. I firmly believe that there's a significant open source user population that would jump at the chance of working with you to build a open standards-based fully multi-platform Salome application. You may not have win32 users, but I do. The community doesn't need "perfection" at this time, just an opportunity re-use collateral you've already created - we can get it right together.

And many of the original problems with licensing are also dimininshing, so by the the time we get say Qt 4.5, it will available under LGPL (instead of GPL) making it compatible with Salome's license, making a Qt4 port very attractive both to the open source world and commercial users.

If any of this rant makes sense to you, then I'm happy to discuss further, either here or privately via peter (dot) dolbey (at) tiscali (dot) co (dot) uk.

Regards

Pete

Posted by Mario at February 24. 2009
            ADAM Erwan wrote:

Hi Peter, Mario and everybody,

Some notes about the windows version ...

We have already build a win32 version of salome ... that why you see some #ifdef WNT in c++ source code. The work has been done using visual studio 2005 and the projects have been constructed at hand adding the necessary files once by once. But, this is not an every day job (as it should) and each time there are new integrations in salome, the windows compilation is not guaranteed by an automatic checker ...

I'm currently working on a way to have unified sources for unix and windows. This work is based on an extensive used of cmake. This tool is a kind of 'configure' but can generate Makefile on unix or visual project on windows. So, I've written a parser to convert Makefile.am files (used by automake) to CMakeLists.txt files and the result can be compiled both on unix and windows ... It already works for Salome 5 serie for KERNEL, GUI, GEOM, MED, SMESH, NETGENPLUGIN.

Currently, I adapt the parser to Salome 4 serie and I think the work will be finished soon for the same modules. The problem is this windows version is completely unofficial and will be not extensively tested like the unix ones (we already have enough job with unix versions and, I know it is difficult to believe but it is true, we have no windows user !). So we are afraid this version to be broken everywhere. Thus, I'm currently in discussion with the developpement team to see how to distribute this version ! I will give some news on that as soon as possible but cannot promise before end of March ...

Best regards,

E.A.

Hello,
            I'd be glad to test and help as much as possible.
            My trouble is I'm not a programmer and, as many Windows users, I'm not used to compile from source.
            Therefore, I don't know what to do with makefiles and things like this.
            Can you, please, give some help/howto to try to get win executables from your work?
            Thanks,
            kind regards

Mario

Posted by Sergio Anza at March 03. 2009
              Dear Erwan,

With respect your comment: "I know it is difficult to believe but it is true, we have no windows user!", this is probably so because there is no a Salome version working on Windows! :) I tried to compile Salome 4.1.4 for windows version using MinGW, but it didn't work.

What is the reason for not having a windows version? problems with the commercial licenses on windows for QT and PyQT? This may be solved with the new GPL versions QT 4 and PyQT 4 for windows.

Definitely, I think that Salome is a great project and having it working on Windows would be very appreciated by the community. Are you still working on that? Do you know when that would be possible?

Cheers!

Posted by Peter Dolbey at March 03. 2009

... and Qt 4.5 released today under LGPL...

Pete

Posted by Luigi Di Carlo at March 05. 2009
                  Hello,

could somebody explain to me how to download and install the windows version?
                  I looked a long for it, but i was not able to find anything....

Tanks in advance, best regards.

Luigi Di Carlo