Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) 3D hex mesh for patient specific artery (pipe)

3D hex mesh for patient specific artery (pipe)

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

3D hex mesh for patient specific artery (pipe)

Posted by Shubham Shinde at February 02. 2018

Dear all,

I am working on a patient specific geometry. The geometry is irregular and thus not axisymmetric.

I am trying to generate a 3D hex mesh. I have followed some previous discussions and could generate 2D surface mesh but when I try to extrude the surface mesh in 3D it shows error that the hex mesh can not be generated for this geometry.

I have divided the inlet and outlet into quad faces and I am applying quadrangle mapping in 2D mesh.

I have attached the image of 2D mesh for reference. Please refer the geometry Solid_2. I request you to suggest where I am going wrong. I am new to Salome. 

I am not able to attach case study. However I can email the case study.

Sincerely,

Shubham

Attachments

Re: 3D hex mesh for patient specific artery (pipe)

Posted by Saint Michael at February 02. 2018

Hi Shubham

Could you provide an image of your geometry in Wireframe mode and vertices shown (all these options are available in a contextual menu of geometry in the viewer).

Or send your study in reply to the email notification about this post (I hope you receive it).

St.Michael

Posted by Shubham Shinde at February 03. 2018

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.

I am attaching the geometry in wireframe mode. Kindly have a look at it.

I did not receive any notification email. Please send me your email or mail me at bhaskar.1@iitj.ac.in I will send you the geometry and the study.

I have divided the inlet and outlet surfaces into 5 quad faces. But the dimensions and orientation of quads on the two faces (inlet and outlet) does not match as the geometry is irregular. Could this be the reason the mesh does not give me option for 3D extrusion? 

Sincerely,

Shubham

Attachments

Posted by Saint Michael at February 05. 2018

"Extrusion 3D" algorithm requires that the inlet and outlet surfaces are not split. If you can't get a desired mesh on these surfaces without splitting them, you can use the following approach to get a desired mesh on a not split inlet and outlet.

1) Split say the inlet separately from the whole pipe,

2) generate a desired mesh on the inlet in a separate mesh object,

3) Use "Import 1D-2D elements from another mesh" algorithm to import elements of the inlet mesh into the pipe mesh.

4) No need to apply these procedure to the outlet. "Extrusion 3D" will project the inlet mesh to the outlet.

St.Michael

Posted by Shubham Shinde at February 05. 2018

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your inputs. I had implemented this method earlier but for some reasons it did not work then. But now I am able to generate the mesh with all hexahedral elements using the same.

SIncerely,

Shubham

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.