Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) Modern CAD modeling?

Modern CAD modeling?

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

Modern CAD modeling?

Posted by Jean-Paul Maley at June 12. 2010

Hello colleges

I 've been looking for an opensource CAD program and this is the most complete and working solution i've yet found. There are a few things i think that are missing specially in the geometry area. Is there any way to easily edit the geometry after it is created. I also seem to be missing a dimension feature.

I can already gues that the anwers is gonna be. Salome is just not such a program. Well if that is the case then is there any open source project as promissing as Salome that has about the same features and workflows as a modern cad program as Solid Works Inventor or cocreate?

Thank you for your answer and time in advance,

J-P

Re: Modern CAD modeling?

Posted by pierre_j at June 13. 2010

Dear Jean Paul,

You should have a look to FreeCAD, NaroCAD and HeeksCAD. They are all based on OpenCascade library,and offer full python scripting. In addition, FreeCAD and HeeksCAD constraint solver (parametric CAD) are both based on SketchSolve. I cannot say for NaroCAD.

IMHO, FreeCAD is the most promising because of its motivated and quite important team.

If you look for a python CAD library, you might also be interested in PythonOCC, that is based on several CAD libraries: OpenCascade, Salome GEOM module, and also Salome SMESH module and others... FreeCAD also looks for integrating Salome SMESH module to produce meshes.

I would say that in some fields, Salome is leader (finite element model pre-processing), in some others FreeCAD is better (parametric CAD), but because FreeCAD takes the liberty to integrate a very a wide range of modules, it may in the end cover a larger scope of functionalities than Salome.

Bests,

Pierre

Re: Modern CAD modeling?

Posted by Janet W at August 31. 2010

Previously Jean-Paul Maley wrote:

Hello colleges

I 've been looking for an opensource CAD program and this is the most complete and working solution i've yet found. There are a few things i think that are missing specially in the geometry area. Is there any way to easily edit the geometry after it is created. I also seem to be missing a dimension feature.

I can already gues that the anwers is gonna be. Salome is just not such a program. Well if that is the case then is there any open source project as promissing as Salome that has about the same features and workflows as a modern cad program as Solid Works Inventor or cocreate?

Thank you for your answer and time in advance,

J-P

Thanks so much in deed.

http://moviesonlineworld.com

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.