Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) OpenSalome.org - Collaborative development website for the SALOME community

OpenSalome.org - Collaborative development website for the SALOME community

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)

OpenSalome.org - Collaborative development website for the SALOME community

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at January 28. 2011

Dear SALOME users,

I'm pleased to announce the opening of OpenSalome.org which aims to provide tools for the open-source community to improve Salome:

• Bug tracking system
  • Improvement requests
  • Development releases

Please note that this website is not related to the core development team. The work is done by volunteers on their free time.

Any help from the core development team to commit the developments upstream will be greatly appreciated ;)

More HowTos will come on how to fix bugs and add new features in SALOME.

Christophe

Re: OpenSalome.org - Collaborative development website for the SALOME community

Posted by pierre_j at January 28. 2011

Hi Christophe,

Very bold of you of this initiative! Please, I have few questions.

- The website is well organized. On which framework is it based on? I believe you are a GMSH user, which presents a similar website, based however on TRACS: wouldn't it had been also an interesting solution? (it is not a critic: we are looking for a similar solution for an internal project and think to go to TRACS. We would like to know if we are missing something)

- Shouldn't the website be in english? (name of the tabs are in french - is it due to my webbrowser configuration?)

- Are EDF, CEA and openCascade teams been warn earlier of this website? (no critic, just to know where we "put our feets in"? (direct translation from french))

I believe that the bug tracking and improvement request systems are definitely a good idea to keep track of users and developpers feedbacks.

Bests,

Pierre

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at January 28. 2011

Hi Pierre,

Thank you for your feedback ;)

The website is based on redmine. It is organized like redmine.org, not like a default redmine project setup. For instance, the main page is the wiki page, not the "Overview/Aper├žu" tab.

Trac is similar but I chose redmine because it has a stable version, it's better organized (in my opinion) and more beautiful (in my opinion too).

The tab names are in your browser language. You can change it in your account settings once logged in.

EDF has been warned informally monday at the break ;) CEA and EDF formally yesterday. Gilles David from OpenCascade has already answered some tickets (thank you Gilles!)

Some attempts of a similar website failed in my former company. Bureaucracy.

So I have done it on my free time, as an involvement in an open-source project.

Open-source means anyone can contribute. This is my contribution. I hope it will lead to more contributions.

Christophe

Posted by pierre_j at January 28. 2011

=> I hope it will lead to more contributions.

I am sure it will!

Pierre

Posted by JMB at January 28. 2011

Hello Christophe Bourcier,

Excellent initiative!!!  I commend your work, contribution and motivation.  I have longed for such a forum and in futility over several years tried to convince the Salome / CodeAster developer community to incorporate it (or open it up to the public, if there is an internal one).  So I am very glad that you have done this.  Good luck and I will try to contribute as resources permit.  I have already registered at your website today.  Thank you!

Regards, JMB

Posted by pierre_j at January 29. 2011

Hi Christophe,

I had a thought: do you think that on the OpenSalome.org website, one could have a new section to display the Doxygen generated documentation based on the "OpenSalome Community Edition"?

If additionnal classes/modules are developped, it will be interesting to have an overview of them through Doxygen, and this will invite to developp in accordance to Salome development standards.

What do you think of it?

Best,

Pierre

Posted by pierre_j at January 29. 2011

Christophe,

Sorry to bother you again, but I have difficulty to get registered on the OpenSalome website:

the account is created, but I cannot log in because it says my password is invalid - I changed it 4 times successfully, but each time I then try to log in again, the password is not recognised.

Do you know why something could be wrong?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Bests,

Pierre

Posted by JMB at January 29. 2011

Hello pierre_j,

I had the same problem.  Try:

1. Enabling cookies

2. Enabling scripts for opensalome.org AND google

If these are blocked then the Recaptcha (sp?) process does not work, thereby blocking registration.

Regards, JMB

Posted by pierre_j at January 30. 2011

Hi JMB,

Thanks for the tip. It now works!

Bests,

Pierre

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at January 30. 2011

Thanks for pointing out this issue with recaptcha. I may switch to a custom arithmetic captcha instead.

Regarding the question on the generated documentation, the developments will try to follow the quality standards of Salome: new classes, methods and their parameters will have to be documented, and unit tests will have to be provided whenever it is possible.

A new section for the documentation is a good idea. And maybe a section with the results of the unit tests.

Christophe

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.