Something better than PloneBoard?
Something better than PloneBoard?Posted by JMB at August 12. 2010
Having seen and used many bulletin board systems from the days of FidoNet (I wonder if anybody even knows what that was, if not see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FidoNet) it is time to review
some serious limitations and deficiencies in the software being used
for this forum. Major shortcomings are:
1. Inability to add / correct / modify / delete one's own postings
2. 100KB limit for file attachments. Salome is a graphically
intensive software that needs something more than 100KB limit to depict
meaningful graphical information on this forum!
3. No bugs or enhancement requests tracking system which is a serious deficiency in software development arena!
4. Search feature and the format of the results is primitive.
5. Speed / response time; but maybe that is hardware / bandwidth
I realize that it has been upgraded recently from an even more
archaic version and is an improvement, but surely there are even OSS /
free BBS software out there that do a better job of providing features,
functionality and speed. Yes I realize Salome is free and I should be
grateful for that and I am! But please review some of these concerns
of a long time believer in Salome being potentially good software but also a critic with the intentions
of improving it and the support structure around it. Perhaps
migration to something else would cause loss of the historical data,
but the umbilical cord may have to be cut at some point in time.
Perhaps one could leave PloneBoard as a frozen baby (accessible but
dormant) and move on to something better?
Activate by JMB on Aug 12, 2010 07:54 AM