Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Other... (new forum, problems, etc.) comparison between VTK XML / XDMF / MED formats

comparison between VTK XML / XDMF / MED formats

Up to Other... (new forum, problems, etc.)
  • comparison between VTK XML / XDMF / MED formats

Posted by pjd at May 06. 2009

Hi all!

I'm currently noticing that one may find at least 2 interchange data formats for the purpose of numerical simulation data, namely MED, and XDMF.

I guess you know MED :), and the XDMF is developped by the Army Research Lab (USA) and is described on this page:

http://www.xdmf.org/index.php/Main_Page

Both formats seems to have the same goal, and I would like to know if a comparison survey has already been done to see the pros and the cons of those 2?

XDMF doesn't seem compatible with OpenSalome, and on the other hand, MED doesn't seem readable in ParaView...

If you had to chose between anyone of those two, having in mind to remain open to the open source community, which one should be chosen? regarding which criteria?

Is XDMF compatibility foreseen in OpenSalome oneday?

I thank you in advance for any advice and comments!

Cheers

Pierre

• Re: comparison between VTK XML / XDMF / MED formats

Posted by Sergey Mozokhin at September 03. 2009

Hello,

It is not planned to have compatibility with XDMF foramt (except someone from comunity will do this, for example you :) ).

About MED and ParaView - it is planned to provide converter from MED to VTK. This is in the roadmap.

Regards,

Sergey.

Quick reply
URLs will be automatically hyperlinked. Basic HTML tags are OK.