Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Failed to narrow... - Ubuntu 11.04

Failed to narrow... - Ubuntu 11.04

Up to Install & build

Failed to narrow... - Ubuntu 11.04

Posted by jev reg at July 25. 2011

Hi,

I have installed Salome 5.1.3 through Ubuntu 11.04 (32bit) package "salome" but when I run it I have the "Failed to narrow the root naming context" error. I have read a couple of thread about this issue and checked /etc/hosts file but it still doesn't work.

I guess (and hope) that dependencies are properly settled, so I have more ideas to make it work.

Thanks

Re: Failed to narrow... - Ubuntu 11.04

Posted by DAVID Gilles at July 25. 2011

Hello,

The packaging was created before the release of Ubuntu 11.04. I don't know if it still compatible (I'm not the packager).

From you experience, it seems not. Maybe of compatibility problem between the libraries libxml2 and zlib

Maybe you should try the universal binaries of the V6.3.0: they have just been published in the download section.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by jev reg at August 01. 2011

Hi,

I have downloaded binaries V6.3.1 (32bit). Firstly, Salome was unable to find libc.so, which has moved to another folder than /lib in Ubuntu 11.04. A symbolic link solved this issue. Now Salome starts but when I activate the mesh module (and all others modules) I get the following error : "Can not load library libSMESH.so libg2c.so : wrong EFL class : ELFCLASS64"

About libxml2 and zlib, installed version are :

- libxml2 : 2.7.8

- zlib : 1:1.2.3.4 (zlib1g package)

Posted by DAVID Gilles at August 01. 2011

Hello,

Yes, there is a problem with the 32bit archive (see http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/796211993#923137724 ).

To be fix asap.

Gilles

Posted by jev reg at August 02. 2011

I have tried 32bit binaries V6.3.0, then V5.1.5 and I get the following error with both of them :

Loading environnement for python
CHECK /home/jev
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: 2810 - Ok
./runSalome: line 50:  2408 Segmentation fault      ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/envSalome.py python -i ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/runSalome.py $*
./runSalome: line 53:  2409 Segmentation fault      python ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/killSalomeWithPort.py ${NSPORT}

It seems that Salome doesn't like my ubuntu

Posted by DAVID Gilles at August 02. 2011

Starting Ubuntu 11.04, the older universal binaries won't work due to a glibc compatibility issue.

The 6.3.1 should work but the 32bit version was badly packaged (to be honest I was nearly in holidays ;))

It should be updated in the nearest days.

The solution is to edit the prerequis.sh file and to remove the "etchForSalome" part. It should be replaced by another directroy where you copy the only needed library for Salome. To know what they are, just comment the etchForSalome part and launch Salome. When it complaints about a missing library, copy it from etchForSalome/lib to a new directory (which should be in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH). There should be only 4 or 5 libraries needed.

This is what was done for V6.3.1.

I hope it will then work for you :/

Gilles

Posted by Johnny at August 15. 2011

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Hello,

Yes, there is a problem with the 32bit archive (see http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/796211993#923137724 ).

To be fix asap.

Gilles

Hello,

When could a fix be expected?

Johnny

Posted by DAVID Gilles at August 15. 2011

Previously Johnny wrote:

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Hello,

To be fix asap.

Gilles

Hello,

When could a fix be expected?

Johnny

Hello Johnny,

It should be fixed now. I cannot check for now but if you can, please inform us.

There was another problem on mandriva (2008 if I remember): in prerequis.sh, the integer value of the "if" test should be lowered to 6 instead of 13 (the current value).

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Loïc Chevallier at August 23. 2011

Dear Gilles David,

It actually works. I have dowloaded the universal binary 32bits 6.3.1 version yesterday, and it works fine on the latest Ubuntu (11.04 + updates), after fixing the libc.so.6 library path either by symbolic link from the real location to /lib/ (super-user) or by changing the appropriate line in the prerequis.sh script.

Thank you,

Loïc Chevallier.

Previously Johnny wrote:

It should be fixed now. I cannot check for now but if you can, please inform us.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Loïc Chevallier at October 19. 2011

Dear Gilles David,

I give herafter a fix for Ubuntu 11.10 using the 6.3.1 32bits universal binary (cf. message above). Using the same configuration and same link to libc.so.6, i updated Ubuntu from 11.04 to 11.10 a few days ago. Salome 6.3.1 would not run, complaining about a problem about LOGNAME (cf. log below).

This variable has to be defined by the system, with any value, e.g. doing in a terminal export LOGNAME='toto' and lauching in the same terminal SALOME, with the runSalome command, will work.

Best regards,

Loïc chevallier.

-- Log of SALOME without the fix proposed above :

ROOT_SALOME: /opt/Salome-V6_3_1_public_32bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1
GLIBC version: 2.13
GLIBC version minor: 13
CHECK /home/loic
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: 2810 - Ok
runSalome running on l2eppc13a
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 - OK
Searching Naming Service + found in 0.1 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/Salome-V6_3_1_public_32bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/KERNEL_V6_3_1p1/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 680, in useSalome
    clt = startSalome(args, modules_list, modules_root_dir)
  File "/opt/Salome-V6_3_1_public_32bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/KERNEL_V6_3_1p1/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 505, in startSalome
    myServer=NotifyServer(args,modules_root_dir)
  File "/opt/Salome-V6_3_1_public_32bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/KERNEL_V6_3_1p1/bin/salome/runSalome.py", line 389, in __init__
    myLogName = os.environ["LOGNAME"]
  File "/opt/Salome-V6_3_1_public_32bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/Python-266/lib/python2.6/UserDict.py", line 22, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: 'LOGNAME'

--- Error during Salome launch ---
>>>

Posted by DAVID Gilles at October 19. 2011

Hello Loïc,

Please see my post here: http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/628940714/56705436

I explain how to run Salome on Ubuntu 11.10 by setting the variable LOGNAME.

Regards,

Gilles