Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Universal binaries: compatibility issues with different glibc

Universal binaries: compatibility issues with different glibc

Up to Install & build

Universal binaries: compatibility issues with different glibc

Posted by DAVID Gilles at September 09. 2011

Dear Salome users,

When Ubuntu 11.04 was released, we found that the universal binaries were not so universal...

The problem was an incompatibility between the glibc of the distribution (version 2.13) and the libraries delivered with Salome into SALOMEX/prerequis/etchForSalome/lib which are compiled on a Debian Etch (glibc version 2.3.6).

After some researches and tests, I may have found a solution to make Salome running on all glibc versions.

The procedure is pretty simple:

1. Remove all files in etchForSalome/lib except:
    • libg2c.so.0
    • libgfortran.so.1
    • libicudata.so.36
    • libicui18n.so.36
    • libicuuc.so.36
    • libpng12.so.0
    • libreadline.so.5
  2. Remove directory etchForSalome/bin
  3. In prerequis-VXXX.sh remove the line:
    • export PATH=${DEBIANFORSALOME}/bin:${PATH}

Please try this procedure on your distribution and keep me informed on the success or not to make Salome running.

The more distributions are tested, the better it will be.

Regards,

Gilles

Re: Universal binaries: compatibility issues with different glibc

Posted by Yves Magnac at September 10. 2011

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Dear Salome users,

When Ubuntu 11.04 was released, we found that the universal binaries were not so universal...

The problem was an incompatibility between the glibc of the distribution (version 2.13) and the libraries delivered with Salome into SALOMEX/prerequis/etchForSalome/lib which are compiled on a Debian Etch (glibc version 2.3.6).

After some researches and tests, I may have found a solution to make Salome running on all glibc versions.

• libg2c.so.0
    • libgfortran.so.1
    • libicudata.so.36
    • libicui18n.so.36
    • libicuuc.so.36
    • libpng12.so.0
    • libreadline.so.5

Please try this procedure on your distribution and keep me informed on the success or not to make Salome running.

Regards,

Hello,

I try to install and run SALOME-MECA-2010.2 but without success.When I follow the official procedure from the site "http://www.code-aster.org/V2/spip.php?article303" I got the error:

python: /home/ymagnac/pf-engenerie/programs/SALOME-MECA-2010.2/SALOME/SALOME5/V5_1_4/../Prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6)
python: /home/ymagnac/pf-engenerie/programs/SALOME-MECA-2010.2/SALOME/SALOME5/V5_1_4/../Prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/tls/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6)

So I made the modification you mentionned but I still get the same error.

I run SalomeMeca on the following distribution:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=natty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.04"

Did you try on this distribution and do you have any idea to make it work?

Regards.

Gilles

Posted by Yves Magnac at September 10. 2011

How can I check which version of glibc is installed?

Thx

Posted by DAVID Gilles at September 11. 2011

In a shell:

/lib64/libc.so.6

or

/lib/libc.so.6

Previously Yves Magnac wrote:

Hello,

I try to install and run SALOME-MECA-2010.2 but without success.When I follow the official procedure from the site "http://www.code-aster.org/V2/spip.php?article303" I got the error:

So I made the modification you mentionned but I still get the same error.

Your error seems to be caused by the presence of the library etchForSalome/lib/tls/libc.so.6

If you follow my instructions, you shouldn't have the same error message since the file should not be here.

Can you check if the file is still present please ? If yes, please remove the directory tlc (and all other directories in echForSalome/lib).

You should have only 7 files in etchForSalome/lib remaining.

Posted by Yves Magnac at September 11. 2011

Hello David,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It works now. Yes Indeed , I forgot to delete some directories. I'm not familiar with linux. My apologies

Yves.

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at September 11. 2011

Hello Gilles,

I have checked on a brand new Debian Sid 32 bits, and the universal binaries worked with and without your procedure.

I just had to give the path to libc.so.6:

libc.so.6 not found
Please enter full path (locate libc.so.6):
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
GLIBC version: 2.13
GLIBC version minor: 13

Christophe

Hello Christophe,

Thank for your feedback :)

Indeed, the current version of the universal binaries checks for the version of the glibc. If it is superior or equal to 2.13 then it uses another directory etchForSalome_glibc13 where only the files listed in my 1st post are present. If not it still uses the old etchForSalome.

Debian Sid (and Squeeze I guess) is in the first case, so your are in the same situation than in the method I propose.

In fact I'm confident with recent distributions, but not for olders.

That is why I need feedbacks, especially on olders distributions, and distributions which are not Debian-based.

Gilles

Posted by bernhardi at September 13. 2011
Hi, 

Thanks a lot for the procedure!

I experienced the same problem while trying to run salome 6.3.1 
on an openSUSE 11.3 (32 bit) system. 

After applying your procedure as described above, salome starts up. 

However the start-up time takes much longer as with older versions. 

Best regards, OEB

Dear Salome users,

• libg2c.so.0
    • libgfortran.so.1
    • libicudata.so.36
    • libicui18n.so.36
    • libicuuc.so.36
    • libpng12.so.0
    • libreadline.so.5

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by bernhardi at September 13. 2011

Hi all again,

forgot to mention, for completeness, that the opensuse 11.4, that I run on an 64 bit system, starts up without problems; no modifications needed.

Best, OEB

Posted by DAVID Gilles at September 19. 2011

Hello,

My procedure seems incomplete: please remove also all the lines related to the search of the libc.so.6.

At the end the prerequis-XXX.sh file should look like:

(...)
export LANG=C

export DEBIANFORSALOME=${PREREQUIS_ROOT_DIR}/etchForSalome
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib64:${DEBIANFORSALOME}/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
(...)

(Caution: the 3rd line is for 64 bits platform, for 32 bits ones, you should read export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib/${DEBIANFORSALOME} )

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Torben at October 08. 2011

Linux Mint 9 (Linux localhost 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux).

Salomé 6.3.0 runs as-is
Salomé 6.3.1 runs after this patch.

For the patch to work I had to remove not only files but also the directories in etchForSalome/lib. Apparently the ParaVIS plugin has a few issues (see atached log from the starting shell), but I have not tested the funtionalities as I dont use Paraview.

I noted that in the */lib directories of the distrubutions many files exist in duplo where symbolic links are normally used.

Thanks for the patch.

Attachments

Posted by DAVID Gilles at October 08. 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

The VTK warnings can be ignored, it does not affect PARAVIS functionalities.

You are right about the duplicated files, in the next version there will not be any of them. The trick is to remove the good files, i.e, to keep the files with the good names ;)

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by BrendaEM at October 20. 2011

The Universal Binary library fix does not seem to work for Ubuntu 11.10.

Salome starts, but "Can not load library libVISU.so libg2x.so.0 cannot open shard object file: No such file or directory"

This is how it starts:

>>> Generic Warning: In /local01/salome/prerequis/src/ParaView-3101p1cm284-py266hdf5184gr2263dox173_patchxml2278qt463p1/VTK/Common/vtkObjectFactory.cxx, line 272
Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libElevationSurface.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

Generic Warning: In /local01/salome/prerequis/src/ParaView-3101p1cm284-py266hdf5184gr2263dox173_patchxml2278qt463p1/VTK/Common/vtkObjectFactory.cxx, line 272
Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libScaleVector.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

Generic Warning: In /local01/salome/prerequis/src/ParaView-3101p1cm284-py266hdf5184gr2263dox173_patchxml2278qt463p1/VTK/Common/vtkObjectFactory.cxx, line 272
Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libParaMEDCorbaPlugin.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libELNOFilter.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libTableReaderPlugin.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

Old Style Factory not loaded.  Shared object has vtkLoad, but is missing vtkGetFactoryCompilerUsed and vtkGetFactoryVersion.  Recompile factory: /home/brenda/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_1/../prerequis/../V6_3_1/PARAVIS_V6_3_1/lib/paraview/libNavigationMode.so, and use VTK_FACTORY_INTERFACE_IMPLEMENT macro.

th. 140083154671552 - Trace /local01/salome/V6_3_1/modules/src/GUI_V6_3_1/src/LightApp/LightApp_Application.cxx [3341] : ****************************************************************
*    Warning: library libCOMPONENT.so cannot be found
*    Module Component will not be available in GUI mode

th. 140083154671552 - Trace /local01/salome/V6_3_1/modules/src/GUI_V6_3_1/src/LightApp/LightApp_Application.cxx [3341] : ****************************************************************
*    Warning: library libCALCULATOR.so cannot be found
*    Module Calculator will not be available in GUI mode

*    Warning: library libPYCALCULATOR.so cannot be found
*    Module PyCalculator will not be available in GUI mode

Posted by BrendaEM at October 20. 2011

Also, a Salome icon would be a nice thing to put in the archive.

Posted by DAVID Gilles at October 20. 2011

Hello Brenda,

Is it the 32 or 64 bit package ?

Gilles

Posted by BrendaEM at October 21. 2011

Hi Gilles,

The packages are 64-Bit. Call me elitist, but I don't see the point of the 32 bit versions, as memory goes quick for a real-world object meshing. I will look over your instructions on the libraries again when I get home. It's possible that I missed something.

It's strange that Salome starts, but puts up a warning if I try to select Post-Pro. I will try the other modules.

[I tried Debian, but I am displeased with the idea of having to compile kernels or install kernel modules for video drivers on every kenel release. I think I am done with that. I looked at Mint, but I do like package managers. I am terribly upset at Ubuntu for Unity. oddly, Gnome 3 has some promise in that it's the lesser of evils, less evil that Unity.]

Posted by BrendaEM at October 21. 2011

[...unfortunately, Ubuntu is a modern and popular Linux flavor. Unity's poverty of user experience may change that, but currently, I don't think that Salome could be experienced by a greater body of people than those on Ubuntu. Unity's poverty of user experience may change that. The user can download a copy of Ubuntu, add Synaptic, and add the rest of Gnome 3 to it, and log into Gnome 3.]

I wonder if they have removed more depends needed for Salome.

When I last saw it, Salome was looking pretty good. It has access to at least two powerful meshers, and the post-processing was handy.

Posted by JMB at October 21. 2011

Hello Brenda,

Don't let Ubuntu's decision to make Unity their default desktop discourage you as it did me initially.  All you need to do is choose 'Ubuntu Classic" among the drop down choices of desktops at the bottom of the login screen.  Thereafter, you can continue to enjoy and use the Gnome desktop as usual.  In fact Ubuntu will remember your selection for all subsequent logins.   I do not think Ubuntu plans to drop Gnome altogether.  Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Regards, JMB

Posted by Ilie Lipan at October 22. 2011

1. The procedure described in the first post work on Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 11.10, without deleting the subdirs in lib (I just moved the files [except the files indicated] in a temporary location.

2. To Brenda: just leave your instalation as it is and look for lubuntu (as LUBUNTU, but lower case), download and make a bootable DVD and:

- sudo apt-get install synaptic gnome-shell , why not docky ...

and other progs; it took to me 6 hours of work on a non-Unity and very fast linux machine.

In synaptic you can get rid afterwards and Unity and other idiot-helpers ... sorry, but it seem to me that people forgot screens, they see touchscreens everywhere.

Posted by BrendaEM at October 22. 2011

Ilie Lipan, thanks for the installation tip and conformation. I will give that a try.

[I'm just built a i7-2600k with 16GB of RAM, and a spiffy video card. I'm looking forward to doing some larger FEA and experiments, and I hope to get some CFD working : )  ]

JMB, I got Gnome going, and it's a lot better than Unity. Encouraging people to install Gnome classic will help discourage people from working on Unity, which is what I want.] 

Posted by BrendaEM at October 22. 2011

On a fresh untarring, I'm still getting the same Post-Pro error, as before. I must be doing something wrong, perhaps in the shell script.

I checked, and there was no libCOMPONENT in what I moved, as if that might be the issue, but there is none.

I tried it with or without the bin folder.

I tried it with or without the other folders and just leaving the 7 files.

3 Hours, so far. At least I found the icon in the archive.

Sigh, I wish there was a working version to download, or a full set of hacking instructions.

brenda@brenda-dtl01:~/Salome$ ./runSalome
ROOT_SALOME: /home/brenda/Salome/SALOME6/V6_3_1
LOGNAME is empty: set value to brenda
CHECK /home/brenda
Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: 2810; 2811; 2812 - Ok
runSalome running on brenda-dtl01
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 2811 2812 - OK
Searching Naming Service + found in 0.1 seconds
Searching /Containers/brenda-dtl01/FactoryServerPy in Naming Service +============== import HOMARD =======================
============== import SuperVisionTest =======================
 found in 0.5 seconds
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service + found in 0.5 seconds
Start SALOME, elapsed time :   1.1 seconds
>>> th. 140503690123200 - Trace /local01/salome/V6_3_1/modules/src/GUI_V6_3_1/src/LightApp/LightApp_Application.cxx [3341] : ****************************************************************
*    Warning: library libCOMPONENT.so cannot be found
*    Module Component will not be available in GUI mode

th. 140503690123200 - Trace /local01/salome/V6_3_1/modules/src/GUI_V6_3_1/src/LightApp/LightApp_Application.cxx [3341] : ****************************************************************
*    Warning: library libCALCULATOR.so cannot be found
*    Module Calculator will not be available in GUI mode

th. 140503690123200 - Trace /local01/salome/V6_3_1/modules/src/GUI_V6_3_1/src/LightApp/LightApp_Application.cxx [3341] : ****************************************************************
*    Warning: library libPYCALCULATOR.so cannot be found
*    Module PyCalculator will not be available in GUI mode

th. 140503690123200 end of trace

Posted by BrendaEM at October 23. 2011

I tried installing things fresh, but both post-pro and the mesher do not start.

There are now at least 3 changes to the "Universal Binaries" The original patch, the update, and the logname patch, not counting the file deletions, of which: it is not clear from the instructions whether or not the folders should be moved/deleted as well as the files in the /prerequis/etchForSalome/lib

If someone would upload new binaries. I would be glad to test them, but it is sad to release software that 3 hacks don't fix.

Posted by DAVID Gilles at October 23. 2011

When the universal binaries were released, the glibc problem was not solved yet. We decided to release them anyway, without knowing if we could find a patch to solve the problem. Hopefully a hack was found 2 month later.

Now when Ubuntu 11.10 was released, Salome 6.3.1 was already there for 4 months. We couldn't know by advance that the LOGNAME problem would arise.

We'll try to release an updated version of the universal binaries, but the new release 6.4.0 is coming soon (mid-November hopefully) so maybe we'll wait for this release.

Gilles

Posted by BrendaEM at October 23. 2011

Might there be a 64-Bit version of the universals, that might work on Ubuntu?

(...Until the Linux community finds a suitable replacement for Unbuntu.)

Posted by BrendaEM at October 24. 2011

I was not suggesting that Salome be required to work on systems that do not exist, yet the "Universal Installers" weren't updated for the last Ubuntu either, sending more people here for your help.

The amount of Linux experience I have is entirely average. I have built dozens of packages from source, manually configured ALSA, installed Gnome once from RPMs, built Code Aster, my first Salome-Mecha experiments come up as 3rd and 5th in Google....

You are much smarter than I am, but still, I should have been able to install Salome, but as a lowly average Linux user, I could not

Posted by JMB at October 25. 2011

Previously BrendaEM wrote:

Might there be a 64-Bit version of the universals, that might work on Ubuntu?

(...Until the Linux community finds a suitable replacement for Unbuntu.)

Hello BrendaEM,

The standard Salome Ver_6.3.1 Universal Binaries (64bit) DO work in Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) without any serious tweaking.  In fact I have installed it recently at least 3 times in the past few weeks.  On a clean Ubuntu install the following steps have worked for me flawlessly:

sudo aptitude install mencoder mjpegtools transcode ffmpeg

# The above are more for animations, etc. not really for core functionality.

cp ~/MyFiles/Download/CodeAster-Salome/Salome_6.3.1_64bit.tar.gz /tmp
cd /tmp
gunzip -cd Salome_6.3.1_64bit.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
cd Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit

sudo ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 /lib/libc.so.6
./runSalome

sudo mv /tmp/Salome-V6_3_1_public_64bit /opt

Hope this helps you and others.

Regards, JMB

PS: I used the above just a few days ago, too!

Posted by BrendaEM at October 25. 2011

Thank you JMB.

I will try it as soon as I can reboot my machine. I have been trying to get the fix described in this thread working, but if the linking may work, I will try it. I have a small mention of your fix; I should have tried that instead.

I'm hoping that your linking method and the logname patch below (if necessary) might be able to get Salome working on 11.10.

To avoid to modification of your ~/.bashrc file, you can also add the following lines into the file [SALOMEDIR]/SALOME6/V6_3_1/prerequis_v6_3_1.sh:

if [ "x${LOGNAME}" = "x" ]; then

echo "LOGNAME is empty: set value to `logname`"

export LOGNAME=`logname`

fi

Posted by BrendaEM at October 25. 2011

Your fix appears to work with, but it does indeed require the above logname fix for Ubuntu 11.10,  pasted in the prerequis_v6_3_1.sh

Stock Ubuntu systems will have apt-get instead of aptitude, so the (non-essential) line will instead read:
sudo apt-get install mencoder mjpegtools transcode ffmpeg

: )

Thank you very much!

Posted by J Moreiras at November 10. 2011

Dear Salome users,

• libg2c.so.0
    • libgfortran.so.1
    • libicudata.so.36
    • libicui18n.so.36
    • libicuuc.so.36
    • libpng12.so.0
    • libreadline.so.5

Regards,

Gilles

Thank for your answer. I could work with Salome-Meca 2010.2 with Ubuntu 11.10 but also I remove all directory in etchForSalome/lib

very grateful

Posted by Sharaf F. Al-Sharif at November 19. 2011

Dear Salome users,

• libg2c.so.0
    • libgfortran.so.1
    • libicudata.so.36
    • libicui18n.so.36
    • libicuuc.so.36
    • libpng12.so.0
    • libreadline.so.5

Regards,

Gilles

Thanks for these instructions. I successfully installed Salome 6.3.1 64bit on Ubuntu 11.10 using these instructions. However, after going through the first Salome tutorial and reaching the mesh module stage I was getting an error message that libg2c was not found. With a little searching and a closer look, I noticed that the file libg2c.so.0 (first on your list of files to keep) is a link to the file libg2c.so.0.0.0 so I think this file should also be kept. When I tried putting it back in the directory and rerunning the script createAppli-V6_3_1 my problem was gone and I could now start the mesh module.

I am not an expert on any of this, so forgive me my explanation is not entirely correct. I am just describing what steps I followed to get it to work, in case someone else is facing similar problems.

Regards,

Sharaf