Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Salome and Ubuntu 11.04 64bits

Salome and Ubuntu 11.04 64bits

Up to Install & build

Salome and Ubuntu 11.04 64bits

Posted by Marine Bagneris at June 01. 2011

Hello,

I tried tu run Salome V5.1.5 on the Ubuntu 11.04 but i failed...Anyone could suggest any alternative ?

The main error seems to deal with something about:

../Prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

or...

../Prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by dirname)

Thanks a lot for any ideas,

Marine.

Re: Salome and Ubuntu 11.04 64bits

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 01. 2011

Hello Marine,

It seems that you downloaded the bad version of the Universal binaries of Salome for your platform: if your os is 64 bit please download the 64 bit version of Salome :)

Btw there will be very soon the new version 6.3.0; I suggest you to download it instead of the 5.1.5 when it is released.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Marco Mantero at June 02. 2011

i have the same problem ,  in ubuntu 11 youcan find a salome without aster working in kpackagekit  , here a link of aster users forum

http://www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?pid=27910

Posted by Marine Bagneris at June 07. 2011

Hello Gilles,

thanks,

you are really kind :) but i did download the 64 bit binary version.

Regards,

Marine.

Previously DAVID Gilles wrote:

Hello Marine,

It seems that you downloaded the bad version of the Universal binaries of Salome for your platform: if your os is 64 bit please download the 64 bit version of Salome :)

Btw there will be very soon the new version 6.3.0; I suggest you to download it instead of the 5.1.5 when it is released.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Marine Bagneris at June 07. 2011

Hello Marco Mantero,

I followed the links to solve the problem and i finally reached this one:

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/582268046

well, i did what it's explained by "bernhardi" about creating new links for libxml2 and as the problems was still the same about libc.so.6, i tried hazardously the same procedure...removing the libc.so.6 from

~/Bulot/Logiciels/Salome-V5_1_5_64bit/SALOME5/Prerequis/etchForSalome/lib

and create a new link with:

ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 libc.so.6

Should i precise that i don't know what i was doing?? :)

well, it doesn't work, i've got this instead:

(...)/Salome-V5_1_5_64bit/runSalome: line 50:  3591 Segmentation fault      ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/envSalome.py python -i ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/runSalome.py $*
(...)/Salome-V5_1_5_64bit/runSalome: line 53:  3592 Segmentation fault      python ${KERNEL_ROOT_DIR}/bin/salome/killSalomeWithPort.py ${NSPORT}

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Marine.

Posted by Marco Mantero at June 07. 2011

hi Marine, if you follow the link at 11 you will find this

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_10/thread_966

i'm in the same situation

best regards

Posted by Marco Mantero at June 07. 2011

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 08. 2011

Hello all,

There is a compatibility problem with Ubuntu 11.04 and the libraries provided in etchForSalome. The same problem appears with the coming version 6.3.0 because the libraries etchForSalome were not changed.

I also have the same problem on Debian Sid with a recent update.

We are investigating this issue. I hope we can find a solution soon.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Marine Bagneris at June 08. 2011

Hello Gilles,

Thanks for your comment.

We hope with you!

Best regards,

Marine.

Hello all,

There is a compatibility problem with Ubuntu 11.04 and the libraries provided in etchForSalome. The same problem appears with the coming version 6.3.0 because the libraries etchForSalome were not changed.

I also have the same problem on Debian Sid with a recent update.

We are investigating this issue. I hope we can find a solution soon.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Marine Bagneris at June 08. 2011

Hello Marco,

Thanks for your help,

as you can read with Gilles's post, we should be patient or regress!

Best,

Marine.

Previously Marco Mantero wrote:

sorry the link is here

http://www.code-aster.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?pid=27910

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 08. 2011

I confirm my previous post:

The last upgrade of the Sid installed libc V2.13 => universal binaries won't launch

I downgraded it back to V2.11 (squeeze version) => universal binaries launch

Searching into the changelog of libc to understand the problem ...

If anyone have a clue, I take it !

Posted by Marco Mantero at June 09. 2011

waiting for the olution , i installed caelinux on the netbook i use for work

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 10. 2011

Hello all,

I found a solution: the universal binaries will now be based on Debian Lenny. The glibc version on Lenny is 2.7. It launches fine on Ubuntu 11.04 and on Debian Sid (glibc version is 2.13). The drawback is that they won't launch on distributions with glibc older then 2.7.

For the time being only the 64bit version will be upgraded. The 32bit version will remain based on Debian Etch (glibc 2.3).

The simple reason is that I don't have any Lenny 32bit version installed, thus no Salome binaries compiled on this distribution.

I hope this will satisfy everyone.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by Andrea Palazzi at June 10. 2011

I found a solution: the universal binaries will now be based on Debian Lenny. The glibc version on Lenny is 2.7. It launches fine on Ubuntu 11.04 and on Debian Sid (glibc version is 2.13). The drawback is that they won't launch on distributions with glibc older then 2.7.

Thank you for your work :) If I can make an observation, as a desktop user I had preferred to have salome based on Debian Squeeze, which is the actual stable release (Lenny is the old stable release). Is there much necessity to support such old distributions?

Bye

Andrea

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 10. 2011

Hello all,

In fact sorry but it was a false good news: in fact it does not work. I was fooled by

1. testing the universal binaries on Ubuntu (the binaries are compatible with the ones from Debian)

2. and with a mistake in the prerequis.sh file which led to not using the directory lennyForsalome (same as previous etchForsalome).

When I fixed the prerequis file to use the Lenny layer, I had a Segmentation fault again ...

@Andrea: the older is the base, the more distribution I can be compatible with (Indeed this is now limited to newer glibc...). When providing the binaries compiled on a Etch and the small Etch layer in EtchForSalome, the archive could be used on all linux distributions with glibc above the one from the Etch (2.3). Indeed it was used on Ubuntu up to 10.10, but also Mandriva 2010, ... If I provide binaries based on Squeeze, people with older distribution won't be able to run them.

But as mentioned in this thread, now our basic idea is no longer valid.

I will still working on it, but it will take more time than expected. And since I'm on holidays next week for 10 days, it will be again delayed.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by salad at June 13. 2011

Hello,

Then for the latest 6.3.0, which version do I need to download for Ubuntu 11.04, etch, lenny or squeeze? Sorry I am a bit confused.

I prefer installation wizard to universal binaries.

Best regards,

http://code-saturne.blogspot.com/

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 13. 2011

Hello salad,

On Ubuntu 11.04, I guess the squeeze binaries should be fine.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by salad at June 13. 2011

Thanks a lot, Gilles. I will try and report.

Best regards,

Posted by JMB at June 13. 2011

Hello Gilles DAVID,

Would you (or someone else) know what versions to use for the following 4 Ubuntu 64bit releases:

1. Ubuntu 9.04
2. Ubuntu 9.10
3. Ubuntu 10.04
4. Ubuntu 10.10
5. Ubuntu 11.04 (use Debian Squeeze wizard install as per your reply)

I am trying to document this for myself as well as other users.  Thank you.

Regards
JMB

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 13. 2011

Hello Jmb,

With your list I would say:

1. Ubuntu 9.04: Debian 4.0 Etch or 5.0 Lenny
2. Ubuntu 9.10: Debian 4.0 Etch or 5.0 Lenny
3. Ubuntu 10.04: Debian 5.0 Lenny or 6.0 Squeeze
4. Ubuntu 10.10: Debian 5.0 Lenny or 6.0 Squeeze
5. Ubuntu 11.04: Debian 6.0 Squeeze

But it requires validation since the binaries for Debian are not always binaries compatible.

Gilles

Posted by fred renou at June 15. 2011

I try on my Ubuntu 10.04

Debian 5.0 Lenny or 6.0 Squeeze does not work with the message

sh: ./bin/SALOME_InstallWizard: not found

(the file exist so I suppose it is not in the correct format)

For me Universal binnary 64 seems to work well out of the box

Just one question Is there a way to save file in the previous MED 2 version so that I can use any Code aster version (older but more stable version)

frédéric

Posted by DAVID Gilles at June 15. 2011

Hello Frédéric,

It is not possible to save the meshes in the old MED2 format. If you want to do so from a script, I suggest to run the script with the version 5.1.5 and to save the mesh from that version.

Regards,

Gilles

Posted by fred renou at June 15. 2011

Thanks

I expect something like this but I use mainly the graphical interface and I wanted to test the fancy new coponent of the 6.3 in particular the Analytical curve definition and homard module

as you suggest I will stay with the 5.1.5 (!) until every one as not switch to med3

Posted by salad at June 15. 2011

Hello Frédéric,

I suppose that the error you had,

sh: ./bin/SALOME_InstallWizard: not found

is because you didn't install the 32 bit compatibility libraries; the install wizard was a 32 bit program. If you would like please read section 1. Preparation of my instruction and have a try.

http://code-saturne.blogspot.com/2010/05/installation-of-salome-513-on-ubuntu.html

Good luck :)

Best regards,
http://code-saturne.blogspot.com

Posted by Sébastien Denneulin at July 05. 2011

Dear all,

I'm working with salome V5, available from the depot :  sudo atp-get install salome
It's work for Ubuntu 11.4
However, I would expect that the command install the latest relase (6.3).
So I decided to download the universal binaries of Salome. During the installation 3 librairies where missing :

libg2c.so.0

libgfortran.so.1

libexport.so.0

Now, when I run salome the following error appear :

"Can not load library libSMESH.so libg2c.so.0 : Ne peut ouvrir le fichier d'objet partagé. Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type"

Any suggestion ?

Best regards,

Sébastien

Posted by salad at July 05. 2011

Hello Sébastien,

You can refer to my post mentioned above to find a solution for lacking of libg2c etc.

Good luck :)

Regards,

Posted by Sébastien Denneulin at July 05. 2011

I didn't notice that it was the same problem on version 6.
Thank you salad

Regards

Posted by Dave McDaniel at November 09. 2011

I have this same issue on Arch Linux with glibc 2.14-5, it is 64 bit

here is the error output:

dirname: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

CHECK 

Searching for free port for the SALOME Naming Service: expr: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/libgmp.so.10)

expr: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libgmp.so.10)

expr: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /usr/lib/libgmp.so.10)

grep: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

netstat: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

hostname: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

cat: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

- Ok

/usr/bin/env: relocation error: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_out_of_memory, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with link time reference

python2: /home/dave/Salome-V6_3_0_public_64bit/SALOME6/V6_3_0_public/../prerequis/etchForSalome/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib/libpython2.7.so.1.0)

Any ideas?
Thanks, Dave