Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build ubuntu 14.04 directory name too long while unpacking

ubuntu 14.04 directory name too long while unpacking

Up to Install & build

ubuntu 14.04 directory name too long while unpacking

Posted by Heath Weiss at January 25. 2016

On Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit  machine. When trying to unpack SALOME-7.7.1-OPENSOURCE-UB14.tgz I get the error:

Error creating directory. File name too long.

Arhive Manager does not give any further information on which file or files caused the problem.

Re: ubuntu 14.04 directory name too long while unpacking

Posted by Heath Weiss at January 25. 2016

Previously Heath Weiss wrote:

On Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit  machine. When trying to unpack SALOME-7.7.1-OPENSOURCE-UB14.tgz I get the error:

Error creating directory. File name too long.

Arhive Manager does not give any further information on which file or files caused the problem.

When I use tar command instead, I see several files in the INSTALL/OPENCV directory that are too long. Tar does not respond to | less. Is there another way to get a list of the error files in question, while unpacking?

Posted by pkmarko sarnych at February 23. 2016

You can use third party tools to bypass long path errors. I'd recommend Long Path Tool. It allows to rename, copy and delete any type of file regardless its path.

Posted by Zino.D at March 13. 2016

I'm new so please any body can help me to install SALOME in Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.

Posted by Frank jackson at March 24. 2017

Long Path Tool can scan for any duplicates and deletes them automatically and fix all of your problems.

Posted by Frank jackson at Thursday 14:05

In other words try long path tool because it will solve your problem of unpacking