Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build QT 5 compilation problem in SALOME 8.4.0

QT 5 compilation problem in SALOME 8.4.0

Up to Install & build

QT 5 compilation problem in SALOME 8.4.0

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at June 26. 2018

Hello Guys,

Recently, I tried to compile SALOME 8.4 on Debian 8.0. But the compilation terminate at QT-5.

I have already installed all the packages listed in "db8_dep_sys_rpms.txt".

QT 5 just stop at its configuration step and throw an error message in the log file saying:

"ERROR: Feature 'system-freetype' was enabled, but the pre-condition 'features.freetype && libs.freetype' failed"

Anyone has tried to install SALOME 8.4 and met this error?

Thanks in advance for any possible info.

Re: QT 5 compilation problem in SALOME 8.4.0

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at June 26. 2018

Previously Kanglong Zhang wrote:

Hello Guys,

Recently, I tried to compile SALOME 8.4 on Debian 8.0. But the compilation terminate at QT-5.

QT 5 just stop at its configuration step and throw an error message in the log file saying:

"ERROR: Feature 'system-freetype' was enabled, but the pre-condition 'features.freetype && libs.freetype' failed"

I now find that in the log when QT try to find freetype headers, it says "pkg-config was disabled globally".

But this could be caused by another reason which may lay in much lower level.

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at June 27. 2018

Hello Guys,

I now find that in the log when QT try to find freetype headers, it says "pkg-config was disabled globally".

Okay, now I know where is wrong. Normally we should install a lot of 3rd party libraries to compile SALOME. But the tricky thing is though I seems to have installed all of those libs, qt still fails. This is due to a really stupid reason - some inter-compiling files are generated in /SOURCE/qt. When you start a new compilation, either you use --clean_all or not, the inter-files will not be deleted and updated. They just locate in /SOURCE/qt, untouched by the sat tools, and then cause the errors, like 'pkg-config disabled globally'. The trick to avoid those errors is to prepare your qt source again! Because only by this way the inter-compiling files could then be deleted.

This is specially the case for SALOME 8.4.0, kind of stupid. I don't understand why the inter-files could locate in /SOURCE. When I was using SALOME 7.8.0, the file system structure is quite clear. All of the inter-files locate in /BUILD. And when you use --clean_all, all of the inter-files will be removed and re-generated.

Also I have to mention, since I just start to use SALOME 8.4.0, some ideas about it might be wrong or misleading. Any comments are welcome.

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at June 28. 2018

Hello Guys,

Okay, now I know where is wrong. Normally we should install a lot of 3rd party libraries to compile SALOME. But the tricky thing is though I seems to have installed all of those libs, qt still fails. This is due to a really stupid reason - some inter-compiling files are generated in /SOURCE/qt. When you start a new compilation, either you use --clean_all or not, the inter-files will not be deleted and updated. They just locate in /SOURCE/qt, untouched by the sat tools, and then cause the errors, like 'pkg-config disabled globally'. The trick to avoid those errors is to prepare your qt source again! Because only by this way the inter-compiling files could then be deleted.

This is specially the case for SALOME 8.4.0, kind of stupid. I don't understand why the inter-files could locate in /SOURCE. When I was using SALOME 7.8.0, the file system structure is quite clear. All of the inter-files locate in /BUILD. And when you use --clean_all, all of the inter-files will be removed and re-generated.

Also I have to mention, since I just start to use SALOME 8.4.0, some ideas about it might be wrong or misleading. Any comments are welcome.

While, I an confused why SALOME 8.4.0 is so huge, around 25 G! SALOME 7.8.0 only occupies 8 G. And I do not see any significant file adding. Anyone could please offer some comments?

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at June 29. 2018
Now, every products were installed. However, the SALOME console suffers some display problems. I believe that some products are not completely installed or with some important library missing. I think the SALOME developers could not only release the SALOME binaries and source but also give some detailed instruction on how to compile and build it, especially on a fresh site.

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at Wednesday 11:59

Now I have a complete list of missing 3rd party compiling-time libs. With those libs correctly installed, people can then compile SALOME smoothly on a fresh site. But the last hurt is Paravis can not work well. I believe this is because of some run-time libs missing.

Posted by Kanglong Zhang at Wednesday 12:01

IMPORTANT: the compilation was performed on Debian 8 with SALOME 8.4.0.