Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Problem to run Salome 6.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Problem to run Salome 6.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Up to Install & build

Problem to run Salome 6.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Posted by Corentin Farinelle at March 14. 2013

Hello,

I'm quite a newbee in Linux, so please excuse me if my question seems ridiculous! I just installed the version 6.6.0 of Salome on Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit version in the "universal binaries for linux"). I face now problems to launch the application. When I type ./runAppli in my ~/salome/appli_V6_6_0 directory, it returns me,

ImportError : No module named site

I saw that it could be related the the installation of python. As far i did nothing particular to install python, i don't know if i have to.

Can somebody help me?

Re: Problem to run Salome 6.6.0 on Ubuntu 12.04

Posted by William Tougeron at March 14. 2013

Hello Corentin,

As I always say about Ubuntu, I recommend to use the Install Wizard instead of the universal binaries (I have never been able to use the universal binaries on Ubuntu). Here are my advices:

http://www.salome-platform.org/forum/forum_9/864795268#74288942

And since you are "newbee", you maybe want to know also how to "add" the script I give "to the $PATH".

Actually, the PATH (or $PATH) is a variable in which are stored all paths to the folder containing all the executable commands you use in a Linux terminal. So to "put my script in the PATH", you can either move this script file into a folder already existing in your PATH (eg. /usr/bin), or add to the PATH the folder in which is your script.

Here are more explicit instructions, to follow after installing Salome using the install wizard and checking at the end that Salome works fine (clicking on the "Launch Salome" button in the install wizard) :

• 1- Open a terminal. [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[T] should work.
  • 2- Type (you can use [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[V] to paste command lines from the clipboard to the terminal):
  • gedit

• 3- Paste in Gedit the script I gave in the above link.
  • 4- Save the file under the name "salome", then exit Gedit.
  • 5- Make your script executable by typing:
  • chmod +x salome

• 6- a) If you want to copy your script into an existing PATH folder, type:
  • sudo mv salome /usr/bin/ # This will ask for your password.

• 6- b) If you want to modify your path folder, I recommend to create a "bin" folder in your "home" folder. To do so, type:
  • mkdir bin

mv salome bin/

cp .bashrc .bashrc~ # This will create a backup of your .bashrc file which is read each time you open a terminal

echo "export PATH='$PATH:$HOME/bin'" >> .bashrc

After that, you can put all your following scripts into this bin folder, make them executable and use them in the terminal like any other terminal command.

So, to launch Salome after that, you will have to open a terminal and type:

salome

I hope these instructions will be usefull for you.

Best regards,

William

Posted by Corentin Farinelle at March 14. 2013
Dear William,

Thank you for your quick and very detailed answer. I'll follow your instructions and let you know if it works!

Best regards,

Corentin

Posted by Corentin Farinelle at March 20. 2013

William,

Following your instructions, it works perfectly! Thanks again!

Best regards,

Corentin