Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Salome 6.4.0 can't activate Geometry module on Windows XP.

Salome 6.4.0 can't activate Geometry module on Windows XP.

Up to Install & build

Salome 6.4.0 can't activate Geometry module on Windows XP.

Posted by Hélio C. Bortolon at February 15. 2012

Dear colleagues,

I installed Salome 6.4.0 after some struggle (out of memory complaints by 7zip) and things seems to flow smoothly until I can't get into the 'geometry' environment.

Importing python scripts from my Salome 5.3 (CAELinux 2010) works, although I can't see the figure, the objects tree appears normally.

The messages I get in the cmd.exe window is:

D:\Documents and Settings\CXZH\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32>runSalome running on MI192622
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 - OK
Searching Naming Service   found in 0.0 seconds
Searching /Containers/MI192622/FactoryServerPy in Naming Service +++++++++++++++
+ found in 8.0 seconds
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service ++Error in method stat for file : D:
\Documents and Settings\CXZH\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32\\MODULES\KERNEL/share/salome/res
ources/kernel/CatalogResources.xml no new xml file is parsed
++++++++++++Warning: this sequence type (ListOfLong,int) has unknown content typ
e, it will be ignored.
Warning: this sequence type (string_array,string) has unknown content type, it w
ill be ignored.
Warning: this struct type (BCError) has unknown member type (incriminated,ListOf
Long), it will be ignored.
Warning: this sequence type (BCErrors,BCError) has unknown content type, it will
 be ignored.
++ found in 8.0 seconds
Start SALOME, elapsed time :   0.0 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Documents and Settings\CXZH\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32\MODULES\KERNEL\lib\pyt
hon2.6\site-packages\salome\import_hook.py", line 175, in import_hook
    module= original_import(name, globals, locals, fromlist, *args, **kwds)
  File "D:\Documents and Settings\CXZH\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32\MODULES\GUI\lib\python
2.6\site-packages\salome\salome_pluginsmanager.py", line 87, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtGui
ImportError: DLL load failed: Não foi possível encontrar o procedimento especifi
cado.

The final phrase, in portuguese, says 'It has not been possible to fint the specified procedure', in a rough translation.

And, finally, the message which comes with the error dialog 'Failed to activate module Geometry'

Error in method stat for file : D:\Documents and Settings\CXZH\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN3
2\\MODULES\KERNEL/share/salome/resources/kernel/CatalogResources.xml no new xml
file is parsed
th. 0514FF34 - Trace W:\SAL-6.4.0-RELEASE\MODULES\KERNEL\KERNEL_SRC\src\Resource
sManager\SALOME_ResourcesManager.cxx [174] : Caught exception in GetFittingResou
rces C++:  [GetFittingResources] ResourcesManager doesn't find any resource that
 fits to your parameters

All the cited files are in place, except for the CatalogResources.xml. What is this file? It didn't came with the Windows package.

Since Salome starts, I guess this is not a MS Visual Studio issue.

Could anyone give me a hint on what may be causing this?

I thank you all in advance for any help.

Hélio.

Re: Salome 6.4.0 can't activate Geometry module on Windows XP.

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 20. 2012

Hello Hélio,

I am not sure, but probably the archive was not extracted completely. It seems that something's wrong with the SALOME installation. For example, file .../SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32/MODULES/KERNEL/share/salome/resources/kernel/CatalogResources.xml should be located in that directory as mentioned.

Try to re-unpack the archive containing SALOME binaries - try using another archiver program instead of 7z (for instance, native WinXP uncompress utility). Also, I would recommend you to install SALOME to the directory without space symbols, for instance D:\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32. The problem might be caused by space symbols in the installation path (though this has been well tested and no problems were detected).

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by Hélio C. Bortolon at February 24. 2012

Hello Vadim,

Thank you very much for the hint.

After unpacking the zip file again, this time with unzip32 (which came in the DJGPP bundle), this problem no longer exists.

Best regards,

Hélio.

Previously Vadim SANDLER wrote:

Hello Hélio,

I am not sure, but probably the archive was not extracted completely. It seems that something's wrong with the SALOME installation. For example, file .../SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32/MODULES/KERNEL/share/salome/resources/kernel/CatalogResources.xml should be located in that directory as mentioned.

Try to re-unpack the archive containing SALOME binaries - try using another archiver program instead of 7z (for instance, native WinXP uncompress utility). Also, I would recommend you to install SALOME to the directory without space symbols, for instance D:\SALOME-6.4.0-WIN32. The problem might be caused by space symbols in the installation path (though this has been well tested and no problems were detected).

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by Lorris CHARRIER at May 30. 2013

Hello

I'm sorry to reup this topic but I have a similar problem with Salome 6.6.0

I tried to extract the file with three different softwares (including unzip83) but I still have the problem. There you have what's on console

runSalome running on Lorris
* Environment variable HEXABLOCK_ROOT_DIR must be set
* Module HEXABLOCK will be not available
Searching for a free port for naming service: 2810 - OK
Searching Naming Service   found in 0.0 seconds
Searching /Containers/Lorris/FactoryServerPy in Naming Service +++++++++++ found
 in 5.5 seconds
Searching /Kernel/Session in Naming Service ++++++++++++ found in 6.0 seconds
Start SALOME, elapsed time :   0.0 seconds
*    Warning: HEXABLOCK GUI resources are not found.
*    HEXABLOCK GUI will not be available.
  File "E:\Cours\EP4\Stage\soft\SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32\MODULES\KERNEL\lib\python2.6\
site-packages\salome\import_hook.py", line 175, in import_hook
  File "E:\Cours\EP4\Stage\soft\SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32\MODULES\GUI\lib\python2.6\sit
e-packages\salome\salome_pluginsmanager.py", line 87, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtGui
ImportError: DLL load failed: La procÚdure spÚcifiÚe est introuvable.
  File "E:\Cours\EP4\Stage\soft\SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32\MODULES\GUI\lib\python2.6\sit
e-packages\salome\salome_pluginsmanager.py", line 88, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import QtCore
ImportError: DLL load failed: La procÚdure spÚcifiÚe est introuvable.

Do you know any solution at this problem ? The name of the missing files, or something else ?

I'm on Windows Vista (yeah it's crap I know but it's my work computer...) 32 bits, with Python 3.3.2

I tried tu run it in administrator mod but that changes nothing

Thanks in advance for your help