Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build Novices guide to install and build on Windows

Novices guide to install and build on Windows

Up to Install & build

Novices guide to install and build on Windows

Posted by tony smith at April 16. 2013

Hello all,

Can someone point me to any documentation that would show me how to set up my windows environment in order to build SALOME?

I have never worked with python scripts so I would like to know things like what IDE to run, what files to build and in what order?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Novices guide to install and build on Windows

Posted by Saint Michael at April 16. 2013

Hi

Download the following archive, it includes README explaining how to build SALOME from sources.

This archive includes pre-requisites built in both DEBUG and RELEASE modes, SALOME modules sources and build procedure (environment files + build scripts). It can be used to build SALOME and/or third-party code from sources.
Note, that it does not include SALOME binaries.

St.Michael

Posted by tony smith at April 17. 2013

Thanks St.Michael,

I am particularly interested in the Geometry and Mesh modules. However the readme files in the SMESH and GEOM subdirectories are empty.

I have only ever built c++ binaries in either a Borland or Microsoft IDE, how can I find more info on how to build the cxx and h files that are in the src directories? I assume this is what might have been included in the blank readme files.

Posted by Saint Michael at April 17. 2013

README you need is in a root of SDK folder.

St.Michael

St.Michael, at the root of the SDK folder is a file called license and a folder called modules, nothing else. Please can you post a copy of the readme file that you expect to be there? Thanks.

Could you check that the archive is completely downloaded using checksum (there is a md5 file).

St.Michael

I did a search on the folder that I extracted the 'Salome SDK Archive' zip file to but I couldn't find an md5 file. Please can you tell me what else I should have done apart from download the SDK zip file itself? The download took an hour or so to complete and there wasn't an error during the download. Also, it completed successfully.

Hey tony!

md5  file is referenced on the Download page near the reference to the main archive. The reference to the md5 file is also present in my first post in this thread.

St.Michael

St. Michael, apologies for what might be a stupid question but do I need to download the md5 file too? How do I use it to verify that the download is complete? I am slightly confused as to the use of the md5 file as you can tell.

Yes, you need to download md5 file too. To use it, you need some utility that checks md5 files. If you have CygWin installed, there is md5sum command doing this job.

St.Michael

Posted by tony smith at April 18. 2013

Morning St.Michael,

I have installed cygwin, downloaded the md5 file and run the md5sum command on the downloaded file. I get a 32 character string in return made up of digits and alphabets. I am at a loss as to what this means and what to do next, please can you assist or point me to where I can find a set of instructions?

I am really sorry for taking up your time like this.

Posted by Saint Michael at April 18. 2013

To check correctness of the download

• cd to the directory where SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32-SDK.zip is,
  • move SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32-SDK.zip.md5 to this directory,
  • run "md5sum -c SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32-SDK.zip.md5" and wait for its output

St.Michael

You can simply check the size of your archive, it must be ~1.25 GB (1 345 295 261 bytes).

St.Michael

Thanks St.Michael, the download appears to be valid as this is what it returns:

SALOME-6.6.0-WIN32-SDK.zip: OK

Do you know where I can get the readme file from that appears to be missing or do you think I should attempt to download an earlier version of the SALOME SDK?

If I unzip the archive I see the following files/dirs

LICENCE
MODULES
PRODUCTS
PRODUCTSD
README
SALOME_6_6_0_Release_Notes.pdf
SAMPLES
TMP
WORK

Try to use 7z to unpack the archive.

St.Michael

St.Michael, 7-zip did the trick, thanks for your helpful advice.