Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build SALOME on Windows (discussion)

SALOME on Windows (discussion)

Up to Install & build

SALOME on Windows (discussion)

Posted by Goodrone at December 15. 2010

Hello!

I'm trying to figure whether it is reasonable to use SALOME (particularly its geometry, preproc and postproc capabilities) as a platform for a commercial CAE/FEA application. One of the main requirements is to be able to run the whole application on Windows, and unfortunately it seems to be a rather big technical obstacle right now.

So my main question is how to build the whole SALOME on Windows from Git repository (latest version) and run it? Are there any instructions already written/published? 

And I'd like to discuss: is SALOME platform on Windows ready for production use? How many people develop and support the Windows variant? Can I hope that if bugs and issues are discovered someone would help to fix it?

Is it possible to compile 64-bit version of SALOME on Windows? Is it possible to integrate 64-bit components into 32-bit SALOME?

Currently I'm studying SALOME 5.1.4 for tests on Windows.

Best regards,
Andrew

Re: SALOME on Windows (discussion)

Posted by Christophe Bourcier at December 16. 2010

Hello,

We tested SALOME on Windows at our company this summer. Some trainee engineers were our beta-testers.

SALOME Windows is almost ready for daily use. The manipulations on the 3D view are almost as fast as on Linux, and much comfortable than with Salome on Linux through NX.

The only bug compared to the Linux version is not to be able to select sub-shapes in the 3D view to explode or to create a geom group. It's not a problem if you're working with parametric studies by scripting the construction of the shape in python, which is highly recommended if you work on complex shapes.

The 2 Go 32bit-limit was reached in the middle of the project, so they had to use Salome on Linux 64 bits. The study worked well on Linux without any change in the python script but the working path to save the mesh.

Concerning the GIT repository, it has barely changed since V5.1.5 release. The last modification was on december 1st. I wanted to provide nightly builds on linux from this repository, but I don't know if it's worth the while since new bug fixes seem to be only commited to the V6 branch.

Christophe

Posted by Erwan ADAM at December 17. 2010

Previously Christophe Bourcier wrote:

Hello,

We tested SALOME on Windows at our company this summer. Some trainee engineers were our beta-testers.

SALOME Windows is almost ready for daily use. The manipulations on the 3D view are almost as fast as on Linux, and much comfortable than with Salome on Linux through NX.

The only bug compared to the Linux version is not to be able to select sub-shapes in the 3D view to explode or to create a geom group. It's not a problem if you're working with parametric studies by scripting the construction of the shape in python, which is highly recommended if you work on complex shapes.

This bug is fixed in 5.1.5 version (not published yet by lack of time). I hope to publish it next week.

The 2 Go 32bit-limit was reached in the middle of the project, so they had to use Salome on Linux 64 bits. The study worked well on Linux without any change in the python script but the working path to save the mesh.

Concerning the GIT repository, it has barely changed since V5.1.5 release. The last modification was on december 1st. I wanted to provide nightly builds on linux from this repository, but I don't know if it's worth the while since new bug fixes seem to be only commited to the V6 branch.

There are still minor modifications on sources for windows version. So if you take the git sources, you will not be able to compile them on windows. This problem is due to the fact that windows version is still experimental and is not nightly build for the moment.

More-over, in windows version, I add some small features which have not been integrated for the moment.

Christophe

Regards, Erwan.

Posted by Cacciatorino at December 17. 2010

This is a very good new, thank you for the correction of this bug!

Previously Erwan ADAM wrote:

This bug is fixed in 5.1.5 version (not published yet by lack of time). I hope to publish it next week.    

Posted by asdf at January 09. 2012

Hi,

Is it windows 64bits in the roadmap of salome in the future? 

Posted by Sergio Anza at January 09. 2012

Hello all,

I've seen that a 32 bit official version of SALOME 6.4.2 is available.

Are you planning or already developing a 64 bit version?

Thank you.

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at January 12. 2012

Hello,

The work on porting of SALOME to Win64 platform is ongoing, however for the current moment no exact planning for this version can be done. The main difficulty is that some of 3rd-party pre-requisite products used by SALOME do not provide Windows 64bit support :(

Regards,
Vadim.

Previously Sergio Anza wrote:

Hello all,

I've seen that a 32 bit official version of SALOME 6.4.2 is available.

Are you planning or already developing a 64 bit version?

Thank you.

Posted by Thomas PEDOT at January 25. 2013

Hello,

how porting is going ? :)

I am interrested.

Regards,

Thomas

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at January 25. 2013

Hello,

The work is still in progress :)

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by ivr at January 25. 2013

I have noted that in the current 6.6.0 version of the program HEXABLOCK module is absent. Is this a bug or a feature of the Windows version? BTW there is no information about this fact in the Release Notes. 

Posted by Thomas PEDOT at October 15. 2013

Helo,

is it possible to know how far from 64bit you are ? (grosso modo :) ).

Thanks again for 

Posted by Thomas PEDOT at November 28. 2013

Hi !

I was juste checking for something else but I saw something wonderful !

Is this true ? :D

That's a really good news ! 

Thanks a lot !!!!!!!

Posted by Roman Gášpár at December 11. 2013

Hi everyone.

I try to run Salome 7.2.0 on my windows computer (win 8.1 64 bit).

The progrom starts normaly (on first view). No error in console and the starting screen looks normal as well. But after "Activating desktop..."message nothing happends. I close console and the program is closed immediately (so the program seems to work normaly). After few experiments I saw a error message in backround (probably from Windows)... Can not load application library "SalomeApp.dll" Bad configuration...I had no chance to read it all.

Have any idea how to fix it?

Regards

Roman

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at December 11. 2013
Hello,

You seem to need Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Redistributable to be installed, see README file supplied with the SALOME binaries distribution.

Note, however, that SALOME was not ever tested on Windows 8.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by Roman Gášpár at December 13. 2013

Thank you for a promt answer. I will try to instal MSVS 2008. 

Roman

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at December 13. 2013
Note: you need not MSVS 2008 itself but its distributable. It is included into the SALOME 7.2.0 archive.

Posted by Scurry at January 23. 2014
It's first time to compile SALOME on windows (for me, 8.1).
I've struggled with compiling the latest archive of SALOME 7.3.0 WIN64 SDK.

When run the batch file, compile.bat, it seems not to work properly.

First of all, I'm trying to figure out what means the below message:
"LibBatch was not found." 
And other some "unknown" messages also seem crucial to understand what shall I do?

Thanks in advance
Attachments

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at January 23. 2014

Hello,

What version of Visual Studio do you use to build SALOME? From the log I see that cmake is unable to find out the compiler so libBatch is not built and, thus, KERNEL module is not configured well.

Note that products supplied with SALOME 7.3.0 SDK are built with Visual Studio 2008, thus to build SALOME, you need that version of Visual Studio installed.

Also note that SALOME was never built / tested on Windows 8.

Regards,
Vadim.

Previously GunHong Kim wrote:

It's first time to compile SALOME on windows (for me, 8.1).
I've struggled with compiling the latest archive of SALOME 7.3.0 WIN64 SDK.

When run the batch file, compile.bat, it seems not to work properly.

First of all, I'm trying to figure out what means the below message:
"LibBatch was not found." 
And other some "unknown" messages also seem crucial to understand what shall I do?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Scurry at January 24. 2014

Dear Vadim

Thanks for your comment

First of all, I installed VC2008 express version.

Checking details in batch-job, I found that "vcvarsall.bat" works only for "Win32" not "Win64."

That point may be why it can't compile code.

I did search for the method to compile 64bit-code using VC2008, but failed.

Do you have any good idea?

best regards

Scurry (or GunHong)

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at January 24. 2014

Hello Scurry,

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition does not support Win64 architecture. We use MSVS Professional edition to build SALOME on Windows XP 64bits platform.

Regards,
Vadim.

Hello Vadim,

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

Scurry

Hello Vadim,

I tried to do the same thing again by using VC2008 express (x64).

In order to test the feasibility of the present  x64 compiler,
I did the following steps but got errors!

1. generate_one.bat LIBBATCH

2. open_in_VC9.bat LIBBATCH
    at this step, I failed. ("unistd.h", "libgen.h", "sys/wait.h" are missing)

-> PLZ check "BuildLog.htm"

I got helpful info from other web to setup VC2008 Express (x64).
Until now, however, I'm not sure this works correctly.
Anyway it seems to work.... --)

regards
Scurry
Attachments

Just snapshot is Attached here.
(LibBatch - Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition (x64))

Attachments

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at January 24. 2014

Hello Scurry,

As we use MSVS Professional Edition on Win64 platform, we did not need (and thus never tried) those tricks with Express Edition. Probably this is working but nobody checked this with SALOME, you seem to be the first one :)

Looking at the log, it is obvious that the Unix-related part of the source code is compiled, that's why unistd.h (and other such files) are searched.

If you want to investigate this more deeper, you have to check why -DWIN32 flag is not passed to the compiler. This flag is set to the project by CMake, in its turn CMake obtains the type of project generator to be used with -G option. See how all this is working in generate_one.bat file, open_in_vc9.bat, set_env.bat and other scripts in the WORK directory of SALOME 7.3.0 SDK.

Regards,
Vadim.

Posted by Scurry at January 25. 2014

Dear Vadim,

I thought over your comment to find out what I should do.

Yes, the preprocessor WIN32 seems not to be recognized as I expect.

Instead of setting proper project-option for VC2008(it maybe simple) , I chose to replace all "WIN32" with "_WIN32" and then it worked!

That is why I am completely new to VC compiler. Actually this is my first experience of VC. ^^

On seeing attached image, you will see what I saw on windows 8.1.

Now I have to take a break because I'm exhausted totally for several days at this issue.

Thanks again, Vadim.

Scurry

Attachments