Personal tools
You are here: Home Forum Install & build sip hangs / GUI

sip hangs / GUI

Up to Install & build
  • sip hangs / GUI

Posted by Thomas Hirsch at February 13. 2007
    Hi everybody,

I spent the day today trying to install Salome from source on Ubuntu 4.1.1 and have been quite successful so far, despite a few patches in openCascade and the 'usual' path and variable fixes.

Now, during the make-ing of the GUI module, the process hangs at the following line:

make[4]: Entering directory `/data/home/thomas/Desktop/salome3.2.2_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.2/src/SALOME_PYQT/SALOME_PYQT_GUI'
    /usr/bin/sip -t WS_X11 -t Qt_3_3_6 -s ".cc" -c . -I SALOME_PYQT_GUI.sip

no CPU activity, nothing. Just executing /usr/bin/sip seems to hang as well, but the executable generally works fine for general no-operations like displaying the version number and usage. It actually seems to expect some input from stdin.
    Has anyone else already encountered this issue? Any hints?

Thanks in advance,
    Thomas
    • Re: sip hangs / GUI

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 13. 2007
      Hello Thomas,

What version of sip is installed on your computer?
      Please try: sip -V command to learn that.

Regards,
      Vadim.

Hi Vadim,

sip version is 3.10.2 (3.10.2-205).

It seems that sip was indeed waiting for input from stdin, since the -I option was not specified and the filename considered a parameter. I reconfigured --with-pyqt_sips=/usr/share/sip/qt/qt and now it looks like this:

make[4]: Entering directory `/data/home/thomas/Desktop/salome3.2.2_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.2/src/SALOME_PYQT/SALOME_PYQT_GUI'
        /usr/bin/sip -t WS_X11 -t Qt_3_3_6 -x Qt_STYLE_INTERLACE -x Qt_STYLE_WINDOWSXP -x Qt_ASSISTANTCLIENT -s ".cc" -c . -I /usr/share/sip/qt/qt SALOME_PYQT_GUI.sip
        sip: /usr/share/sip/qt/qt/qtmod.sip:47: syntax error
        make[4]: *** No rule to make target `.depend', needed by `depend'.  Stop.

I will try to install a newer sip version to see if it helps.

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 14. 2007
            Hello Thomas,

OK, the latest problem means that the dependencies have not been rebuilt. THe simplest way to solve this (without removing all build directory) is to remove .depend files:
            >>> cd GUI_build
            >>> find . -name ".dep*" -exec rm -rf {} \;

And then call make once again.

Regards,
            Vadim.

Posted by Thomas Hirsch at February 14. 2007
              Thanks a lot, Vadim!

Updating sip helped and your comment helped me to fix a few dependency problems quickly.
              The new sip library however had quite a lot of dependencies for other libraries which are not yet available as ubuntu packages. If necessary, I will install them manually, currently a small code patch (removing unused, overloaded QColor::rgb methods) helped to get me further.

I am currently having two issues, one of which was quite entertaining. The GUI makefile looped endlessly while building the file src/SALOME_PYQT/SALOME_PYQT_GUI/SALOME_PYQT_GUI.sip - I could identify the location in the Makefile, do it manually, and skip this part, but I couldn't find out why it looped.

The other one is more serious - and I probably will have to grep the cascade sources to find out what is missing.

make[3]: Entering directory `/data/home/thomas/Desktop/salome3.2.2_SRC/GUI_SRC_3.2.2/src/OBJECT'
              ../../libtool --mode=compile g++ -g -D_DEBUG_  -Wno-deprecated -Wparentheses -Wreturn-type -Wunused -pthread -DOMNIORB_VERSION=4 -D__x86__ -D__linux__ -DCOMP_CORBA_DOUBLE -DCOMP_CORBA_LONG -I../../include/salome -I. -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/omniORB4 -I/usr/include/COS  -I/usr/include/qt3 -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DOCC_VERSION_MAJOR=6 -DOCC_VERSION_MINOR=1 -DOCC_VERSION_MAINTENANCE=0 -DLIN -DLINTEL -DCSFDB -DNo_exception -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_WOK_CONFIG_H -DNO_CXX_EXCEPTION -I/usr/share/OpenCASCADE6.1.0/ros/inc -c SALOME_InteractiveObject.cxx
              g++ -g -D_DEBUG_ -Wno-deprecated -Wparentheses -Wreturn-type -Wunused -pthread -DOMNIORB_VERSION=4 -D__x86__ -D__linux__ -DCOMP_CORBA_DOUBLE -DCOMP_CORBA_LONG -I../../include/salome -I. -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/omniORB4 -I/usr/include/COS -I/usr/include/qt3 -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DOCC_VERSION_MAJOR=6 -DOCC_VERSION_MINOR=1 -DOCC_VERSION_MAINTENANCE=0 -DLIN -DLINTEL -DCSFDB -DNo_exception -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_WOK_CONFIG_H -DNO_CXX_EXCEPTION -I/usr/share/OpenCASCADE6.1.0/ros/inc -c SALOME_InteractiveObject.cxx  -fPIC -DPIC -o SALOME_InteractiveObject.lo
              SALOME_InteractiveObject.ixx: In function 'Handle_Standard_Type& SALOME_InteractiveObject_Type_()':
              SALOME_InteractiveObject.ixx:42: error: 'Standard_Transient_Type_' was not declared in this scope
              make[3]: *** [SALOME_InteractiveObject.lo] Error 1

Posted by Vadim SANDLER at February 14. 2007
                 Hello Thomas,

The first problem could be caused by the wrong PyQt installed on the computer.
                To check what version is used you can try the following command:
                >> python -c "import pyqtconfig; print pyqtconfig.Configuration().pyqt_version_str"

SALOME 3.2.x requires Qt 3.3.3, sip 4.1 and PyQt 3.13. Newer versions should be also OK. Some older versions also may work without the problems but it is recommended to use above mentioned versions.

The second problem points to the problem with CASCADE. But it seems that you have successfully built KERNEL module. So, probably, you have forgotten to set environment before building GUI module.
                In any case the only thing I can suggest is to remove your GUI_build directory and then repeat all build steps again: set environment, build_configure, configure, make, make install...

Regards,
                Vadim.

Posted by Torsten Sadowski at February 16. 2007
                  Hi,

the sip problem has to be solved at three places:

GUI_SRC_3.2.2/src/SALOME_PYQT/SALOME_PYQT_GUI/Makefile.in
                  GUI_SRC_3.2.2/src/SALOME_PYQT/SalomePyQt/Makefile.in

ifeq ($(QT_VERS),Qt_3_3_4)
                  QT_VERS = Qt_3_3_0
                  endif

has to be changed to match your qt release (3_3_7 ?)

The endless loop means you have a unknown sip version:

GUI_SRC_3.2.2/adm_local/unix/config_files/check_sip.m4

4.1*)
                             SIP_VERS=v4_old ;;
                           4.2*)
                             SIP_VERS=v4_new ;;

Add your sip version. If it is newer than 4.2 v4_new works.

Cheers, Torsten

Posted by Pierpaolo Garofalo at December 24. 2007
                    Hi all, thanks for the helpful hints that helped me a lot so far. Alas I am not able to go through the make process of GUI on account of the following error:
                    ..... g++ -ffriend-injection -fpermissive -g -D_DEBUG_ -Wno-deprecated -Wparentheses -Wreturn-type -Wunused -pthread -DOMNIORB_VERSION=4 -D__x86__ -D__linux__ -DCOMP_CORBA_DOUBLE -DCOMP_CORBA_LONG -I../../include/salome -I/opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/omniORB4 -I/usr/include/COS -I/usr/qt/3/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DOCC_VERSION_MAJOR=6 -DOCC_VERSION_MINOR=2 -DOCC_VERSION_MAINTENANCE=0 -DLIN -DLINTEL -DCSFDB -DNo_exception -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_WOK_CONFIG_H -DOCC_CONVERT_SIGNALS -I/opt/OpenCASCADE6.2.0/ros/inc -c /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx -fPIC -DPIC -o VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.lo In file included from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:23, from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:29: /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer.h:33:31: error: vtkSystemIncludes.h: No such file or directory In file included from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:29: /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:32:27: error: vtkIntArray.h: No such file or directory /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:31:30: error: vtkObjectFactory.h: No such file or directory /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:37: error: expected class-name before '{' token /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:40: error: 'vtkIntArray' has not been declared /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:40: warning: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'vtkTypeMacro' with no type /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:33: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ';' token make[3]: *** [VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.lo] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build/src/VTKViewer' make[2]: *** [lib_VTKViewer] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build/src' make[1]: *** [lib_src] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build' make: *** [all] Error 2
                    It looks to me that there are several missing files. Does anyone have an idea on how to get over this? Thanks, Pier

Posted by Pierpaolo Garofalo at December 24. 2007
                    Hi all, thanks for the helpful hints that helped me a lot so far. Alas I am not able to go through the make process of GUI on account of the following error:
                    ..... g++ -ffriend-injection -fpermissive -g -D_DEBUG_ -Wno-deprecated -Wparentheses -Wreturn-type -Wunused -pthread -DOMNIORB_VERSION=4 -D__x86__ -D__linux__ -DCOMP_CORBA_DOUBLE -DCOMP_CORBA_LONG -I../../include/salome -I/opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/omniORB4 -I/usr/include/COS -I/usr/qt/3/include -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DOCC_VERSION_MAJOR=6 -DOCC_VERSION_MINOR=2 -DOCC_VERSION_MAINTENANCE=0 -DLIN -DLINTEL -DCSFDB -DNo_exception -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DHAVE_LIMITS_H -DHAVE_WOK_CONFIG_H -DOCC_CONVERT_SIGNALS -I/opt/OpenCASCADE6.2.0/ros/inc -c /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx -fPIC -DPIC -o VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.lo In file included from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:23, from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:29: /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer.h:33:31: error: vtkSystemIncludes.h: No such file or directory In file included from /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:29: /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:32:27: error: vtkIntArray.h: No such file or directory /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:31:30: error: vtkObjectFactory.h: No such file or directory /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:37: error: expected class-name before '{' token /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:40: error: 'vtkIntArray' has not been declared /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.h:40: warning: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'vtkTypeMacro' with no type /opt/salome-3.2.6/salome-src3.2.6/GUI_SRC_3.2.6/src/VTKViewer/VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.cxx:33: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ';' token make[3]: *** [VTKViewer_CellLocationsArray.lo] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build/src/VTKViewer' make[2]: *** [lib_VTKViewer] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build/src' make[1]: *** [lib_src] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/salome-3.2.6/gui_build' make: *** [all] Error 2
                    It looks to me that there are several missing files. Does anyone have an idea on how to get over this? Thanks, Pier

Posted by Pierpaolo Garofalo at January 02. 2008
                      Hi all,
                      I've managed to get as far as Thomas Hirsch in installing GUI and I get the same error message.
                      I tried to remove both gui_build and gui_install directories and repeating the whole lot but with no success.
                      I noticed that I get these two hint from the configuration process:

---------------------------------------------
                      testing VTK

configure: checking for VTK...
                      checking for X... libraries , headers
                      checking vtkPlane.h usability... no
                      checking vtkPlane.h presence... no
                      checking for vtkPlane.h... no
                      no
                      configure: WARNING: unable to link with vtk library
                      for VTK: no

Testing qwt

configure: checking for qwt...
                      QWTHOME not defined
                      checking for /usr/local/lib/libqwt.so... no
                      checking for /usr/lib/libqwt.so... yes
                      libqwt.so detected in /usr/lib
                      checking qwt.h usability... no
                      checking qwt.h presence... no
                      checking for qwt.h... no
                      no
                      configure: WARNING: qwt not found

Now I have:

pier@pc1 ~ $ locate vtkPlane.h
                      /usr/include/vtk-5.0/vtkPlane.h

and:

pier@pc1 ~ $ locate qwt.h
                      /usr/include/qwt5/qwt.h

Vtk version installed: 5.0.3
                      qwt versione installed: 5.0.2

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to cope with this?

Thanks a lot.